Expand my Community achievements bar.

The next phase for Workfront Community ideas is coming soon. Learn all about it in our blog!
SOLVED

Advanced Reporting Help: Getting an image thumbnail on a request

Level 8

Alright, all you advanced reporting crazies! I've been wrestling an issue for a month now and am at a complete loss.

I need to generate a request report with an image thumbnail of the document uploaded with the request.

Not too hard to do with the following code and a little Fusion work:

displayname=Thumbnail

image.name=Link Project

image.valuefield=url

shortview=true

textmode=true

type=image

usewidths=true

valueformat=

I just take the previewURL from the doc and concatenate it with our instance URL to create a new URL which I place into the request URL and pull into the request report as an image.

However, the access keys to images stored in Workfront expire over time. This means my thumbnail appears only for about an hour - then it's gone. The concatenated link still works, but the image in the report disappears. Workfront Support recommends uploading my image to another place on the web and using that URL. I tried that and it worked, but uploading an image somewhere else and then pulling that link into a request it's too much for my requestors. They won't do that when there are other tools that are much easier (Airtable, MS Teams, etc.). The problem is that our creative teams work in Workfront and need a single source of truth.

My requestors are adamant that the image be included in the report/request view. They will kick and scream and find other tools to submit requests if I don't get this to work. It's what they're doing now and my creative team is chaos.

Workfront support is no longer any help. The system just doesn't cooperate that way.

SO! I need help - what other ways can I achieve my goal??

Goal: I need to generate a request report with an image thumbnail of the document uploaded with the request.

@Tanner DeVinny‚ @Dawn Henderson - inactive‚ @Anthony Imgrund‚

Topics

Topics help categorize Community content and increase your ability to discover relevant content.

1 Accepted Solution

Correct answer by
Community Advisor

I was able to get this working on a task report a while back, so you might be able to get it on an issue report as well. I used the syntax from the large thumbnail URL. It looks something like this:

https://YOURDOMAIN.my.workfront.com/internal/document/thumbnail?build=&size=DOCUMENT_SHARE&documentV...

So maybe if you just put in the document version ID, that would work? (or maybe this just works for me because these are all JPGs?)

View solution in original post

12 Replies

Level 10

Hi Samantha,

That's a familiar but tough ask. We solved it in our Magic Reports and Editorial Calendar solutions (among others), but -- along the lines of what Workfront support mentioned -- had to build some special tech in order to do so.

Perhaps someone has a workaround, but until then (or in case not), thought I'd at least offer your misery some company.

Regards,

Doug

@Doug Den Hoed‚ As always I have to innovate complicated solves without using any of our budget 😭

Your company is much appreciated 😂

Correct answer by
Community Advisor

I was able to get this working on a task report a while back, so you might be able to get it on an issue report as well. I used the syntax from the large thumbnail URL. It looks something like this:

https://YOURDOMAIN.my.workfront.com/internal/document/thumbnail?build=&size=DOCUMENT_SHARE&documentV...

So maybe if you just put in the document version ID, that would work? (or maybe this just works for me because these are all JPGs?)

Level 8

@Skye Hansen‚ What was your text mode to get that URL to display in a column?

Community Advisor

It looks like this on a task:

displayname=Thumbnail

image.name=Thumbnail

image.valuefield=URL

link.linkproperty.0.name=taskID

link.linkproperty.0.value=ID

link.lookup=link.edit

link.page=/view

link.valuefield=objCode

link.valueformat=val

textmode=true

type=image

valueformat=

Just tried it out last night and it seems to work in classic and NWE. Occasionally some of the text mode for this kind of stuff works in one experience but not the other, so it was nice to see the thumbnail showing up on the report no matter what I used.

Level 8

So, unfortunately, it's the same problem. If the URL comes from a document stored in Workfront then the access keys expire and the image thumbnail actually disappears 😞

Community Advisor

that's pretty weird. My thumbnail was still in the report that I made yesterday, plus nothing in the url I'm using references anything other than the doc version ID. I'm sorry your experience isn't the same :(.

Level 8

@Skye Hansen‚ I messed with it for a few hours and finally got it to work with your URL syntax!! You're a genius! Thank you so much!

Community Advisor

nice work! What finally got it working for you??

Level 8

Several things with my Fusion scenario weren't working correctly, including the concatenation of your url syntax and the document version ID. I worked with support for awhile and they helped me fix it!

Community Advisor

interesting! Thanks for clarifying. It's good to know the textmode is OK. Although now I have to wonder if your original URL syntax would also have worked. LOL best not to touch it now that it's working.

Level 10

This is what is working for me:

https://*******.my.workfront.com/internal/document/preview?versionID=620abc490000d72f23d3f6c07743d26...

Unfortunately, getting the ddress is a pain. Select the image, go to the summary box on the right, select "Versions", on the resulting page right click the preview icon to get the URL.