Expand my Community achievements bar.

Registration for the AEM Guides User conference on 24th and 25th March 2024 is open.
SOLVED

Thai Text not in PDF

Level 5

AEM 6.5.11

AEM Guides v4.0.2.10

I have a Thai sentence inserted into my English source content because it needs to appear in the English PDF output. We do similar things with French, German, and Italian without any issues, but the Thai content renders in the PDF as a string of question marks (???????).

How do I get the Thai and any other non-Latin/Germanic characters to display? Is this a UTF-8 vs UTF-16 issue? AEM Guides is UTF-8 and our previous CCMS (SDL LiveContent Architect and XMetaL) was UTF-16 and allowed this.

1 Accepted Solution

Correct answer by
Level 6

Thanks for your email. Please use the below steps to enable the Thai font. 

1. Enable element-specific font settings by uncommenting AttributeForXMLLang=xml:lang in the maker.ini file. You can locate this file in the FM installation directory.

2. Add xml:lang attribute to “th” on the element.

<ph id="ph_1" translate="no" xml:lang="th">
<foreign>อุปกรณ์และอุปกรณ์โทรคมนาคมนี้เป็นไปตามมาตรฐานหรือข้อกำหนดทางเทคนิค</foreign>
</ph>

View solution in original post

7 Replies

Employee

It seems like the Font issue and not UTF8/16. The font used on the server doesn't have Thai characters. Can you share some more details on the PDF engine you are using?

Done. An email was sent that included the dita file with the Thai content. I was going to also include the PDF output, but for some odd reason, maps that generated a PDF output last week just fine are failing this week.

Correct answer by
Level 6

Thanks for your email. Please use the below steps to enable the Thai font. 

1. Enable element-specific font settings by uncommenting AttributeForXMLLang=xml:lang in the maker.ini file. You can locate this file in the FM installation directory.

2. Add xml:lang attribute to “th” on the element.

<ph id="ph_1" translate="no" xml:lang="th">
<foreign>อุปกรณ์และอุปกรณ์โทรคมนาคมนี้เป็นไปตามมาตรฐานหรือข้อกำหนดทางเทคนิค</foreign>
</ph>

Thank you. We'll try this.

However, right now, all my attempts to generate any PDF from any GUID map is failing. I'll be posting this as a separate question.