Expand my Community achievements bar.

Applications for the 2024 Adobe Target Community Mentorship Program are open! Click to the right to learn more about participating as either an Aspirant, to professionally level up with a new Certification, or as a Mentor, to share your Adobe Target expertise and inspire through your leadership! Submit your application today.

[AT Community Q&A Coffee Break] 5/27: Shannon Hamilton, Senior Adobe Target Product Manager

Administrator

Join us for our next Adobe Target Community Q&A Coffee Break

taking place Wednesday, May 27th @ 10am PDT

--> REGISTER NOW <-- 

We'll be joined by Shannon Hamilton aka @ShannonHamiltonPM, Senior Adobe Target Product Manager, who will be signed in here to the Adobe Target Community to chat directly with you on this thread about your Adobe Target questions pertaining to her areas of expertise:

• Adobe Target user interface,
  • A/B Testing and Experience Targeting (XT)
  • Offers libraries, Activity lists, Audiences libraries
  • Integrations: i.e. Adobe Analytics (A4T), Adobe Experience Manager Experience Fragments, Audience Manager audiences, and Adobe Experience Platform integrations

Want us to send you a calendar invitation so you don’t forget? Register now to receive a reminder!

A NOTE FROM NEXT WEEK'S COMMUNITY Q&A COFFEE BREAK EXPERT, SHANNON HAMILTON 

REQUIREMENTS TO PARTICIPATE 

• Must be signed in to the Community during the 1-hour period
  • Must post a Question about Adobe Target
  • THAT'S IT!

*(think of this as the Adobe Target Community equivalent of an AMA, (“Ask Me Anything”), and bring your best speed-typing game)

INSTRUCTIONS 

• Click the blue “Reply” button at the bottom right corner of this post
  • Begin your Question with @ShannonHamiltonPM
  • When exchanging messages with Shannon about your specific question, be sure to use the editor’s "QUOTE" button, which will indicate which post you're replying to, and will help contain your conversation with Shannon

Screen Shot 2020-05-28 at 8.32.01 AM.png

AveryWongPhotography_1705.jpgShannon supports the end-to-end marketer UI, as well as Target’s authoring APIs and cross Adobe Experience Cloud integrations. Her mandate includes developing Target's integration with AEP's Unified Profile. Previously, she was responsible for the machine learning / AI capabilities within Target, including ML-based personalization and ML-enhanced testing. Shannon holds an MBA from the Kellogg School of Management at Northwestern University, where she specialized in data science and marketing.

Curious about what an Adobe Target Community Q&A Coffee Break looks like? Check out the thread from our first break with Kimen Warner, Director of Adobe Target Product Manage...

Topics

Topics help categorize Community content and increase your ability to discover relevant content.

63 Replies

Employee

Hi all! 

Looking forward to answering your burning Target questions. 

Shannon 

Level 2

Good morning and thanks for taking time out of your day for us!

How do you handle tests where the numbers, be it audience, conversion rate or lift, are low and causes the test to take a long time? I'm talking years

Employee

@CJ there are a few approaches you can use. 

• Expanding the audience size that you have entering your activity
  • Use a conversion metric "higher in the funnel" to increase the amount of power in your data (AKA the number of conversions)
  • Decrease the number of experiences you are trying to test 
  • Consider if you are comfortable with a different confidence interval. Would you be OK with 80% instead of 95%? Then you need less data to detect the same difference

Level 2

Will definitely expand the audience size via an Audience Library segment. Are there best practices/limits to using Audience Library?

Employee

You can find Adobe Target guidance around limits posted here: https://docs.adobe.com/content/help/en/target/using/troubleshoot/target-limits.html 

Some of these are system limits and some are recommended best practices. A few examples: 

Audience names
Limit : 255 characters.
Audiences
Limit : 50 audiences per mbox, metric, or experience.
Audiences, reusable per account
Recommended limit : 20,000 audiences.

@CJara1 wrote:

Will definitely expand the audience size via an Audience Library segment. Are there best practices/limits to using Audience Library?

Level 1

@ShannonHamiltonPM This is a great question. It seems like this happens often for tests. 

Employee

@cjoplin  one option you have may be to track to a more upper funnel metric like clicks/click through rate for the statistical measurement aspect and correlate it to a metric that is further down funnel.  However, A/B testing is ultimately about math and stats and there has to be a baseline level of engagement (visitors and actions) to support the math aspects.   Auto-Allocate can help in some use cases because it allocates traffic dynamically throughout the life of a test. 

Here are some great links that talks about the statistical pitfalls our users encounter, and a calculator to help scope out your experiments:

https://docs.adobe.com/content/help/en/target/using/activities/abtest/common-ab-testing-pitfalls.htm... 

https://docs.adobe.com/content/target-microsite/testcalculator.html

@cjoplin wrote:

Good morning and thanks for taking time out of your day for us!

How do you handle tests where the numbers, be it audience, conversion rate or lift, are low and causes the test to take a long time? I'm talking years

Level 2

@ShannonHamiltonPM Hello Shannon,  can you share best use cases for using automated personalization vs Auto-Target?  Also what are some of the new enhancements coming to Auto-Target that were just announced at Adobe's Digital Summit?

Administrator

@drewb6915421 wrote:

@ShannonHamiltonPM Hello Shannon,  can you share best use cases for using automated personalization vs Auto-Target?  Also what are some of the new enhancements coming to Auto-Target that were just announced at Adobe's Digital Summit?

Great question @drewb6915421 ! The Adobe Target Community member @justinl40680371 had posed a similar question as well!

Level 1

Hi Shannon,

How can we load target only on the AEM content pages? Currently we are injecting at.js from Adobe launch which is configured on every page. Though we dont need target on transaction heavy pages and want to control the loading of target on the page by authoring capabilities.

What is your recommendation and how can we achieve it?

Level 2

@ShannonHamiltonPM

Hi thanks for doing this today Shannon. I'm a new user to Adobe Target. I went through AT Fundamentals training about 2 months ago.

Currently, I've been using the VEC to make edits for my A/B tests.

When does it make sense to use the form instead of VEC? Also how do form work with mbox or at.js? 

Employee

@djefferson this is a great question!   The form-based composer makes sense quite a few scenarios.  Typically you will use the form-composer when you want to deploy Target to any non-Javascript environment or server-side applications. Some examples are:

• server-side experimentation or personalization
  • Native mobile applications (iOS, Android)
  • Email
  • Kiosks
  • Call-Centers
  • digital voice assistants
  • IOT devices

@djefferson wrote:

@ShannonHamiltonPM

Hi thanks for doing this today Shannon. I'm a new user to Adobe Target. I went through AT Fundamentals training about 2 months ago.

Currently, I've been using the VEC to make edits for my A/B tests.

When does it make sense to use the form instead of VEC? Also how do form work with mbox or at.js? 

Level 2

@Jason_Hickey  -  thanks.

so when selecting our global-mbox using the form, how do i target a page within our site to do the a/b test? is there a resource for that part? also is there a way to preview tests setup using the form composer?

Employee

@djefferson check out this video I recorded several years ago.  Some of the UI actions are out of date but the concepts are very much the same!  https://docs.adobe.com/content/help/en/target-learn/tutorials/experiences/use-the-form-based-experie...

You can also find some documentation on refining in form composer here: https://docs.adobe.com/content/help/en/target/using/experiences/form-experience-composer.html

@djefferson wrote:

@Jason_Hickey  -  thanks.

so when selecting our global-mbox using the form, how do i target a page within our site to do the a/b test? is there a resource for that part? also is there a way to preview tests setup using the form composer?

Hi Shannon

Very cool.

Can you share some good examples of websites that are using Auto-Target or Automated Personalization with sucess?

Thanks

Nicolas

Employee

Hello Nicolas!   I always think back to Summit sessions where great brands like Swisscom showcase their stories!  Some of the more recent ones include:

And of course the great work that Swisscom does! https://2019.summit.adobe.com/na/summit-online/#26664 

@Nicolas_Swisscom wrote:

Hi Shannon

Very cool.

Can you share some good examples of websites that are using Auto-Target or Automated Personalization with sucess?

Thanks

Nicolas

Employee

Hello Target community!  Jason here from the Target product team as well - looking forward to the coffee break! 

Level 2

Hi Shannon,

Do you recommend using Audience Library segments over profile scripts for Target? How do you decide which to use?