Expand my Community achievements bar.

Applications for the 2024 Adobe Target Community Mentorship Program are open! Click to the right to learn more about participating as either an Aspirant, to professionally level up with a new Certification, or as a Mentor, to share your Adobe Target expertise and inspire through your leadership! Submit your application today.

☕[AT Community Q&A Coffee Break] 11/11/20, 8am PT: David Son, Senior Product Manager for Adobe Target☕

Administrator

Join us for our next monthly Adobe Target Community Q&A Coffee Break

taking place Wednesday, November 11th @ 8am PT

REGISTER NOW

We'll be joined by David Son, aka @DavidSonPM, Senior Product Manager for Adobe Target, who will be signed in here to the Adobe Target Community to chat directly with you on this thread about your Adobe Target questions pertaining to his areas of expertise:

• On-device decisioning
  • At.js
  • Mobile
  • Alloy
  • APIs 

Want us to send you a calendar invitation so you don’t forget?  Register now to mark your calendar and receive Reminders! 

️Be sure not to miss the webinar from the day before, on Tuesday, 11/10/20 @ 10am PT, where @Jason_Hickey and @DavidSonPM will deliver a live webinar on how to Personalize and test at zero latency with on-device decisions from Adobe Target - bring all your burning post-webinar Q's to the chat thread below!

A NOTE FROM OUR NEXT, 11/11/20 COMMUNITY Q&A COFFEE BREAK EXPERT, DAVID SON 

REQUIREMENTS TO PARTICIPATE 

• Must be signed in to the Community during the 1-hour period 
  • Must post a Question about Adobe Target
  • THAT'S IT!  *(think of this as the Adobe Target Community equivalent of an AMA, (“Ask Me Anything”), and bring your best speed-typing game) 

INSTRUCTIONS 

• Click the blue “Reply” button at the bottom right corner of this post
  • Begin your Question with @DavidSonPM
  • When exchanging messages with David about your specific question, be sure to use the editor’s "QUOTE" button, which will indicate which post you're replying to, and will help contain your conversation with David

Screen Shot 2020-04-02 at 4.46.08 PM.png

David Son is a Senior Product Manager for Adobe Target where leads product strategy for mobile, APIs, and SDKs. He holds a B.A in Computer Science from the University of California, Berkeley and is based in San Francisco.

Curious about what an Adobe Target Community Q&A Coffee Break looks like? Check out the threads from our first Series of Adobe Target Community Q&A Coffee Breaks and from our last Break from 10/14/20 with Jon Tehero, Group Product Manager for Adobe Target

Topics

Topics help categorize Community content and increase your ability to discover relevant content.

46 Replies

Level 1

Hi @DavidSonPM - My question: When leveraging Target Premium for mobile, do we need a global mbox in a mobile app? It is standard practice on the web, but we're having trouble finding clear documentation on mobile app use cases and technical requirements.

Level 4

@katsaks wrote:

Hi @DavidSonPM - My question: When leveraging Target Premium for mobile, do we need a global mbox in a mobile app? It is standard practice on the web, but we're having trouble finding clear documentation on mobile app use cases and technical requirements.

When calling Target from our Mobile SDKs, you can retrieve experiences for a given mbox. If you are familiar with Target and have used Target for the past few years, you might know them as regional mboxes. If you have form-based composer activities that are set up with target-global-mboxes then you can retrieve experiences via the target-global-mbox. Here is the API docs for more information - https://aep-sdks.gitbook.io/docs/using-mobile-extensions/adobe-target/target-api-reference

Level 6

@DavidSonPM are you able to confirm that we only call AAM s2s from Target when there is an activity that is using an AAM segment? Thus not impacting AAM server call limits.

Thanks!

Level 4

@josejr19 wrote:

@DavidSonPM are you able to confirm that we only call AAM s2s from Target when there is an activity that is using an AAM segment? Thus not impacting AAM server call limits.

Thanks!

The S2S call is a backend setting that can be configured to be real-time (once per page) or session-based (once per session).  It is not directly tied to the usage of the segments in an activity.

Level 2

@DavidSonPM

We are developing a mobile web SPA for our financial clients that will be hosted on our client sites via iframe structure. The base code of the SPA will remain the same across all clients and we plan to implement at.js 2.x some time next year. I have a few questions: 

1) Can we use Visual Exp Composer (VEC) to create a single A/B testing activity for all the clients that we plan to run target test? Since our SPA will be hosted by many different site. If we create a test for each client, that would be hard to manage. 

2) Does VEC support SPA inside of an iFrame?  

3) Is Form based EXP Composer (FEC) a better choice in this scenario? If so, i'm not sure how to reference the "view" using FEC. 

4) Can a “view” be nested inside of another “view”?

Level 4

@ca90883831 wrote:

@DavidSonPM

We are developing a mobile web SPA for our financial clients that will be hosted on our client sites via iframe structure. The base code of the SPA will remain the same across all clients and we plan to implement at.js 2.x some time next year. I have a few questions: 

1) Can we use Visual Exp Composer (VEC) to create a single A/B testing activity for all the clients that we plan to run target test? Since our SPA will be hosted by many different site. If we create a test for each client, that would be hard to manage. 

2) Does VEC support SPA inside of an iFrame?  

3) Is Form based EXP Composer (FEC) a better choice in this scenario? If so, i'm not sure how to reference the "view" using FEC. 

4) Can a “view” be nested inside of another “view”?

1) A/B activities are delivered to a website according to the template url settings. You can deliver 1 AB activity to multiple different sites with different domains if that is what is being asked here.

2) I am not quite sure about this. Our At.js needs access to the DOM tree to make changes to the content. I will follow up on this.

3) The View concept is used only when you want to use the VEC for your SPA. Form-based composer returns data in the format like JSON, HTML, IMage, etc. So you don't need to use Views when you use form-based composer.

4) Views don't have a tree structure in Target. They are flat objects.

Level 2

Thanks David. @DavidSonPM

Regarding Question #1, when creating a A/B test using VEC, the first step is to enter a activity URL. Since we plan to run our test in many different bank sites, what URL shall I use? FYI. our application will be hosted inside of iframe by our clients. 

Will you follow up with me via email? 

Level 4

@ca90883831 wrote:

Regarding Question #1, when creating a A/B test using VEC, the first step is to enter a activity URL. Since we plan to run our test in many different bank sites, what URL shall I use? FYI. our application will be hosted inside of iframe by our clients. 

I have just received confirmation that VEC cannot work for applications within iFrames unfortunately.

Employee

@DavidSonPM wrote:

@ca90883831 wrote:

I have just received confirmation that VEC cannot work for applications within iFrames unfortunately.

To expand here, an activity that is sourced from outside the iFrame cannot "reach" into the iFrame to manipulate the DOM.  It is walled off.  You could theoretically have Target deployed inside of the iFrame as well but this is largely untested and not officially supported.  

Level 2

Thanks David and Jason. @DavidSonPM

Correct, our SPA will reside inside of iframe on our different client bank sites. and it's our plan to run target test inside of iframe. That said, Form based composer is the only option right? and we don't need to utilize "view" in that case? 

Employee

@ca90883831 wrote:

Thanks David and Jason. @DavidSonPM

Correct, our SPA will reside inside of iframe on our different client bank sites. and it's our plan to run target test inside of iframe. That said, Form based composer is the only option right? and we don't need to utilize "view" in that case? 

If you can navigate to the iFrame directly via internal tools and/or an administrator view, you likely could still use the VEC.  if the SPA itself can't be loaded by an Adobe Target author directly, you likely could not.  I doubt it is possible to diagnose without trial and error so I would encourage you to experiment and validate that actions are applying properly and sessions and profile data is being tracked properly. 

Level 3

@DavidSonPM 

Hi David

Would you know when the Redirect+A4T issue is being fixed (https://experienceleague.adobe.com/docs/target/using/release-notes/known-issues-resolved-issues.html...) ?

2. Does using redirects in generell generate less visitor data as the redirect need some time to execute? (in an A/B where B is has a redirect configured A would thus always have more visitors?)

3. Adobe Consulting mentioned that is is "best practice" to have redirect on all Experiences when using redirect in and A/B Tests in order to have an equal configuration. Can you confirm this (however redirecting to the same URL is not possible - should we use a dummy URL parameter here).

Level 1

@DavidSonPM 

I have a question about integrating Target into a single-page application that mainly relates to experience type activities. The specific use case is for content that is setup to be displayed in a container that is shared across multiple screens in the SPA. What is the best way to manage hiding/showing the content when it is intended for only one of the screens?

To elaborate, without explicitly hiding or removing the content when the user transitions to a new screen, the content would continue to appear in the "global" container. Conversely, once the content is hidden or removed, it will not re-appear when the user transitions back to the original screen without explicitly re-inserting or un-hiding the content.

Any guidance on the best way to do this is much appreciated.

Level 3

@DavidSonPM

What are the main Target changes that we need to be prepared for when transitioning to Alloy?

Level 4

@tszat wrote:

@DavidSonPM

What are the main Target changes that we need to be prepared for when transitioning to Alloy?

I would say the main changes you need to be aware of are how audiences work. You must configure XDM in order to use Target for Alloy.js  When defining Audiences for your Target activities that will be delivered via the AEP Web SDK, XDM must be defined and used. After you define XDM schemas, classes, and mixins, you can create a Target audience rule defined by XDM data for targeting. Within Target, XDM data displays in the Audience Builder as a custom parameter. The XDM is serialized using dot notation (for example, web.webPageDetails.name).

If you have Target activities with predefined audiences that use custom parameters or a user profile, be aware that they won’t be delivered correctly via the AEP Web SDK. Instead of using custom parameters or the user profile, you must use XDM instead. However, there are out-of-the-box audience targeting fields supported via the AEP Web SDK that do not require XDM. These are the fields available in the Target UI that do not require XDM:

• Target Library
  • Geo
  • Network
  • Operating System
  • Site Pages
  • Browser
  • Traffic Sources
  • Time Frame

Please see this doc for more information - https://experienceleague.adobe.com/docs/experience-platform/edge/personalization/adobe-target/target...

Level 3

Haven't heard much about Alloy and native app? I assume that is also coming.

Level 3

Quick UI feedback on trying to read the delivery API doc. When I'm scrolling through it, it autoscrolls me back up towards the beginning of the doc.

I'm using Chrome V86.0. Similar behavior seen in Chrome Incognito.

http://developers.adobetarget.com/api/delivery-api/

Level 4

@jonathanl557422 wrote:

Quick UI feedback on trying to read the delivery API doc. When I'm scrolling through it, it autoscrolls me back up towards the beginning of the doc.

We use ReDocs for generating API docs and this is a known issue in Chrome. You won't see this problem in Firefox. I suggest using Firefox for the time being. We are also in the progress of migrating to Gitbooks. You will slowly see the API docs also migrated there. In the meatime, SDKs are documented here - https://adobetarget-sdks.gitbook.io/docs/

Employee

@DavidSonPM wrote:

@jonathanl557422 wrote:

We use ReDocs for generating API docs and this is a known issue in Chrome. You won't see this problem in Firefox. I suggest using Firefox for the time being.

We are also starting a process of moving to a new (and better!) docs portal for our API documentation - stay tuned for news on that in future release notes. 

Level 3

@DavidSonPM

Any plans to enhance data available in API? We previously looked at it for a reporting dashboard (detail what is currently running and where) and found that it didn't seem to have access to all the information we would want to have.