Expand my Community achievements bar.

SOLVED

Use Case to explain the difference between a Portfolio, Program, and Project

Level 2

Some clients have trouble understanding the difference between the 3 objects in Workfront. What is the best practice to explain the difference when trying to structure a Group or team into Workfront. 

1 Accepted Solution

Correct answer by
Community Advisor

An analogy I’ve heard WF themselves use to explain this in their trainings:

Portfolio = file cabinet

Program = folders in the file cabinet 

Project = docs in the folders in the file cabinet

A project (doc) should live in a portfolio (cabinet) but doesn’t necessity need a program (folder). If you have a lot of related projects under a portfolio, best to group them in a program. 

Common examples:

Portfolio: A client or account or a business line

Program: Segments of work type or campaigns within the account or products under a business line 

Project: Actual projects/deliverables within the campaign or for a certain product under its product line program

If you found this helpful, please mark correct to help others!

If this helped you, please mark correct to help others : )

View solution in original post

6 Replies

Correct answer by
Community Advisor

An analogy I’ve heard WF themselves use to explain this in their trainings:

Portfolio = file cabinet

Program = folders in the file cabinet 

Project = docs in the folders in the file cabinet

A project (doc) should live in a portfolio (cabinet) but doesn’t necessity need a program (folder). If you have a lot of related projects under a portfolio, best to group them in a program. 

Common examples:

Portfolio: A client or account or a business line

Program: Segments of work type or campaigns within the account or products under a business line 

Project: Actual projects/deliverables within the campaign or for a certain product under its product line program

If you found this helpful, please mark correct to help others!

Community Advisor

Glad it helped! Please mark the answer correct if you don't mind to help others who may be looking for the same thing.

Level 8

I use these concepts when training people on Workfront with great response. I've seen the lightbulb turn on in people's faces.

Level 7

These are also standard project management terms defined in the PMBOK by PMI (Project Management Institute).  They weren't created by Workfront.