Expand my Community achievements bar.

The next phase for Workfront Community ideas is coming soon. Learn all about it in our blog!

How to get project form data to populate an issue custom form?

Level 4
We currently accept project requests through our Request Queue. They come in as Issues, which we then convert to Projects. The data from the Issue custom form carries over into the Project custom form. However, when we want to create an issue associated with a project, the common form field data does not populate on the issue. Is there a way to make this happen? The Use Case: We create a master project to serve as the overview for a program. That master project has a wide variety of custom form fields to define the scope, deliverables, market, market sector, affect products, etc. We want to create issues for the separate deliverables, assign them to the relevant project managers, who will then convert those issues to projects. We don't want to manually enter the common, basic data that is already on the master project and that exists on the Issue form as well. Chris Watson KVH Industries, Inc.
13 Replies

Level 8
I may be corrected, but I believe the inheritance is one way (issue converted to project, rather than project adding issue). Some alternatives: Copy the issue used to create the project into the newly created project Create multiple projects from the one issue, and use inter-project dependencies to link them Of the two, I'd suggest copying the issue. That way at least they all share the one project and project details. Barry Buchanan Work Management Australia

Level 10
This solution copies data during the conversion process using calculated fields. Please note that after the conversion, any changes to the master project data will not be reflected in the converted-to-projects. It's a "one-time" copy. Create an "Issue" custom form for "Project Data ISSUE Form" and create some custom calculated fields as follows: Field Label: Project Name; Calculation: Project.Name Create a "Project" custom form for "Project Data PROJECT Form" and add the existing calculated fields you just created above. The calculation you'll enter will be the field above in this format: {Project Name} On your master project, create the issues and attach the "Project Data ISSUE Form" form created above. Convert the issue to a project using a template that already has the "Project Data PROJECT Form" attached or attach the form during the conversion. Please let me know how this works out or if you have any problems! Narayan.D.Raum@SunTrust.com Narayan Raum Delivery Lead/System Administrator Workfront Center of Excellence SunTrust Bank

Level 4
All: I have a somewhat similar problem to solve. We have an Issue Type of Change Request. Currently, we have to manually type in any budget changes as it relates to the project (Business Case Budget, Baselined Budget, Planned Budget, etc.) into our Change Request Custom Form on the Issue because when it was set up years ago, I presume, there was no way to put any Project object details on an Issue. Is there anything related to how you resolved this posts issue that could assist with pulling those number from the Project to the Issue? Keep in mind these are all details that would exist post-project creation and so transferring from a request isn't possible. By the way, the goal of this is to minimize executive clicks. If a sponsor gets a CR, that custom form should have all the details they need to make a decision without clicking around the project to "hunt" for important financial detail (all of which we have calculated on a Project Custom Form already). I just can't find a way to get those calculated fields on the Project to appear on an Issue. Jason Maust McGuireWoods LLP

Level 8
@Jason Maust - did you ever figure this out? I have a similar process where we enter expense account numbers into a custom field on the project. From there, we submit an issue from within that project and need to enter in that same expense number. I can't get the expense number to auto-populate on the issue with a calculated field. I've tried using Project.{Expense Account #} since "Expense Account #" is the name of the custom field on the project form, but it's not working. Thanks! Kirsten Heikkinen Trek Bicycle Corporation

Level 4
I have not solved it, sorry. Jason Maust McGuireWoods LLP

Level 10
Kirsten, I'm not seeing why that wouldn't work, unless the project custom field is changed after the issue is created. If this is the case, the issue's custom form needs to be resaved to trigger the information to carry over again. -skye

Level 8
Hey Skye, Do I need to reference the name of the project custom form? How this is set up right now is there's a custom form on a project called "Accessory-Component Project". One of the fields on that form is "Expense Account #". One of the queue topics in that project is called prototype request and there's a custom issue form attached to that queue topic. We want the expense account number that was entered on the project custom form to automatically be populated on the prototype issue request form. Maybe I was going about it the wrong way - do you have any suggestions for that specific scenario? Kirsten Heikkinen Trek Bicycle Corporation

Level 10
Kristen - are you putting Project. before the name of the field? Like for me, I have an issue custom form where I want the project job number. So my calculated field is Project.Vantage Job Number Anthony Imgrund FCB

Level 4
Good Morning, I was able to take data from a project level, custom form and have that data auto populate to task level items. I had my project level custom form already created, generated a task level custom form with the corresponding fields (named slightly different.) So my, project level field = Discovery Resource task level field = Discovery Resource.Task task level field should be, calculated field text format formula = CONCAT(Project.Discovery Resource) Before moving on to the remainder of the fields, I always click the "Update Previous Calculations" & Save. You'll need to apply the custom forms to your tasks (or issues, whatever you're doing) and sometimes I've had to refresh a few times before it populated. Took me a while to figure it out because I thought the CONCAT just was not working. Jordan Martinson LeaseTeam, Inc.

Level 8
Yep, I've tried the following and none of them have worked so far. Project.Expense Account # Project.{Expense Account #} Project.{DE:Expense Account #} Could it not be working due to the fact that there's already a field on the issue form that's also called "Expense Account Number"? I noticed that if I entered something into the issue version of the Expense Account # field, the calculated field pulls that number instead of the project version of the Expense Account # field. Kirsten Heikkinen Trek Bicycle Corporation

Level 10
hi Kristen, I have it working in the sandbox. The project custom form contains field "expense account #" The calculated field I have at the issue level is: Project.{expense account #} and I also put another "expense account #" field in there. I set up a queue to handle creating the issue, and when I create an issue, the calculated field pulls in from the project's custom form, and the "expense account #" field is just whatever I put in it. I don't see that it would make a difference, but you might try "updating your calculation" (in the setup area, open your custom form, select the calculated field and select the checkbox that asks to update previous calculations in the background) -skye

Level 8
I got it working! Is there a way to have the number show during the issue entering process? Or will the data in the calculated field only show up once I save the issue and then go into the issue details? Kirsten Heikkinen Trek Bicycle Corporation

Level 10
Kirsten: correct. It only shows after you save the issue. :( I found this out myself just yesterday on a different project I'm working on. Glad you got it working! -skye