Expand my Community achievements bar.

SOLVED

How To Capture Queue Topic Of The Request On The Project's Custom Form

Level 10

Hi - I know someone posted about this before, but I'm having issues trying to find it :(

I'm looking to capture the Queue Topic of the Request on the Project's custom form so I can use it for some task reporting someone needs.

Anyone remember how to do that?

I can get a calculated field on the request that will capture that info, but then how would that transfer to the project when converted?

1 Accepted Solution

Correct answer by
Level 10

Hi Everyone - figured it out!!

So, on the issue, I have a calculated field called Request Type and the calculation is Queue Topic.Name

Then on the Project, I have put the Request Type field on the custom form, but the calculation is just Request Type

(I know, it is a little weird, but it works beautifully!!)

NOTE: This is not retroactive. This only works at the moment of conversion from issue to project.

View solution in original post

18 Replies

Correct answer by
Level 10

Hi Everyone - figured it out!!

So, on the issue, I have a calculated field called Request Type and the calculation is Queue Topic.Name

Then on the Project, I have put the Request Type field on the custom form, but the calculation is just Request Type

(I know, it is a little weird, but it works beautifully!!)

NOTE: This is not retroactive. This only works at the moment of conversion from issue to project.

Level 4

Hi, Anthony

I came across this post and I think it's getting me closer to what I'm trying to do but still need help. I'm trying to create a custom project code that includes the year + Workfront project ID + queue topic from the request queue the original request came from. So, right now I have

CONCAT(RIGHT(YEAR(Entry Date),2),"-",Reference Number)

in a calculated field on a project report to pull in the first two components. How do I get the queue topic from the originating request queue to append to the end of that?? So, we'd have

21-123456-queue topic

And, to add even more complexity, if we could determine the queue topic and assign a 2 or 3-digit code to each rather than show the whole name.

Any guidance would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Michelle

Level 4

Are you using two separate custom forms (one for issue and one for project)?

I'm using a single issue/project custom form and cannot seem to get this to work.

Also, will this work if the issue is deleted upon conversion to a project?

HUGE thanks to @imgrund for helping me fix my calculation and solve this!

Level 2

Hello Anthony, could you please explain a little bit more? now i have encountered a problem, when i convert an issue to task, then the queue topic name wasn't captured, i use calculated field, but when convert to task, it was becoming to N/A. not sure why, could you help me on this? appreciate!

Level 4

Hi Jerry, below are my steps that I used on my combination Project & Issue custom form.

If Custom Form is Issue & Project form:

1. Create Calculated Field on custom form titled Queue Topic-Issue

a. IF(ISBLANK({queueTopic}.{name}),{queueTopic}.{name},{queueTopic}.{name})

2. Create 2nd Calculated Field on same custom form titled Queue Topic Name

a. IF($$OBJCODE="OPTASK",{queueTopic}.{name},IF(ISBLANK({DE:Queue Topic Name}),{DE:Queue Topic Name},{DE:Queue Topic Name}))

NOTE: the calculated field name in Step 2 is referenced in the code in 2.a.

NOTE: this is not retroactive. Only works on new requests/issues submitted.

3. Submit a Request/Issue

4. Convert the Request/Issue to a Project

Level 2

Thanks Jamesmiller! I am using another approach (text mode) to get what I wanted. but appreciate your help! thanks!

Employee

Thank you for sharing, Anthony!! I'm sure this will come in handy to people!

Level 1

It dose not work for me -- The calculation "Request Type " Does not give error but on project it is just blank

Level 10

Just to confirm, Did Request Type have data on the request before you converted it into a project?

Level 1

On issue form I added "Queue Topic.Name" It worked but when I created project form -- It does not accept that formula as a valid one -- the for same calculated field I change the formula to " Request Type "

It accepts the formula but does not show anything on project custom form for converted project

Level 1

I GOT is now -- The solution is life saver -- for people like me who might miss out on details --

• The issue form can not be copied as it is
  • Create issue form with out the queue detail first
  • Copy the issue form to project form
  • Now add the field with Name say "ABC"-- in the above example Antony used name " Request Type"
  • On project form the now add the field from library
  • By default the calculation will be blank add the formula {ABC}

Level 4

I have a Marketing Request project/issue custom form with a Queue Topic Name calculated field with the following calculation:  IF(ISBLANK({queueTopic}.{name}),{queueTopic}.{name},{queueTopic}.{name})

When I submit an issue with this custom form, the Queue Topic Name calculated field pulls in the queue topic name of QT1. However, when I convert the issue to a project the Queue Topic Name calculated field pulls N/A and not the queue topic name.

Any help is appreciated to get this working.

Level 3

Is there any way to do this without converting the issue to a project? I have information on a issue created in a project that I'd like to transfer to the project level (or task level) for reporting.

Level 10

Not in a calculated field as I don't think you can do collections for that. But you might be able to do it on a report in a custom column. Is the info you are trying to grab only on the tasks you want? Or is there some other attribute that we could "filter" on?

Level 3
What I’m really trying to do is get the request reference number and one custom date field that is on the request custom form to display on an assignment report. I don’t think it is possible because they are not related except at the project level but your post gave me a glimmer of hope. Additional details: the user is not assigned to the request, and the request is submitted on the project.

Level 10

OH!!! Yeah, that is hard.

You have an issue/request that is on a project and you want to grab the reference number to it so that you can display it on an assignment report (I'm assuming the assignee is on a task then).

Yeah, I'm not thinking of a way to do it since the project is not created from the request. You need a collection of a reference.

You should post this as a separate post have make sure the Text Mode Reporting tag is on it. That will alert some of the amaizng reporting ninjas and maybe someone smarter than me can help you.