Expand my Community achievements bar.

The next phase for Workfront Community ideas is coming soon. Learn all about it in our blog!

Ask Alex Shootman ANYTHING!

Level 9
UPDATE : The AMA videos with Alex Shootman are ready for your viewing pleasure! "https://community.workfront.com/page/alex-shootman-ama">Click here to check them out . Next week we are going to have a chance to sit down with the new CEO, Alex Shootman to do an "AMA" (Ask Me Anything). This is a chance for you to get to know who he is, what he's about, and what his plans are for Workfront. We'd love for you to submit any questions you'd like him to answer as a comment in this thread. We'll compile them and try to get as many answered as possible in the time we get with him. We're really excited he's so passionate about the Community that he requested for us to do this. We hope you take advantage of this opportunity to ask some good, thoughtful, insightful, questions! -Nate Bagley --- Workfront Community Manager - Work Smart, Work Happy Message me directly at: natebagley@workfront.com
37 Replies

Level 10
Excellent: I'll bite, Nate. "Hi Alex, I am CEO of AtAppStore, one of Workfront's longest standing Partners. Having run several ventures myself, I believe that it is extremely valuable to use your own tools to run your own business. Doing so gives insight into what your customers experience, leverages the improvements you make by helping your internal team as well, and -- most of all -- gives an irreplaceable credibility that your clients, staff, and partners will recognise and appreciate. With those ends in mind, in what ways to you intend to personally use Workfront within the next year?" Regards, Doug

Level 10
Hi: Hoping that you are taking questions now, let me toss a few out onto the table: 1) What do you think the greatest challenge to WorkFront’s revenue growth will be in the next three years? 2) What market segment do you think has the greatest opportunity for WorkFront’s future revenue growth? 3) Who is WorkFront’s competition? Who do you lose business to? 4) There are a number of work management tools out there. They all have similar features, although some are more mature in one area than another. The people who consult and support their packages are dedicated and competent. Please describe the three things that uniquely differentiate WorkFront from the competition. Please consider those questions. That is what I’d ask him were I sitting in his office shooting the breeze. Thank you. Eric

Level 10
Ugh, I just reread my questions, I forgot an important part of question three. See below. Thanks! Eric

Level 4
Wow! Eric and Doug have already asked the hard ones... How about, "What is your favourite part of the Workfront toolbox?" Thanks, Phil

Level 2
1- What makes Workfront better than their competitors? 2- Why the rebrand? 3- Future innovations?

Level 4
What are the top 3 things that caused you to accept the Workfront CEO position?

Level 1
Will you go back and use Workfront to run your help desk?

Level 2
Hello Alex, What are you plans for adding BI analytics to Workfront? Or even making your reporting more robust? Welcome! -- Scott Adams Work together. Work smarter. Workfront. Business System Analyst Lead Global Creative Studio | Starbucks Coffee Company

Level 9
Eric, just FYI, if you log into the Community, you can manually edit your posts. I know you like to use the email feature... cause it's super awesome and convenient. Just wanted to make sure you knew of the edit feature for future reference. In Reply to Lucas Eric:
Ugh, I just reread my questions, I forgot an important part of question three. See below. Thanks! Eric
-Nate Bagley --- Workfront Community Manager - Work Smart, Work Happy Message me directly at:

Level 5
Hi There, This is a pretty open question- but what does the first 90 days look like for you? tks! Karen

Level 10
Nate - No, I didn’t know that. I’ll go look at it. Thanks for letting me know! Wooo, now I can correct my messages and make the grammar and spelling more better! --> Wooo. I just edited this post. Thanks again for the tip! Eric

Level 1
My question to any new CEO is what influenced you into taking the position?

Level 4
My question is, do you see yourself developing strategic partners in the next few years, to enable better integration. i.e. Microsoft?

Level 10
Hi, Congratulations and welcome. There are already many great questions here and I look forward to those answers. As a Workfront System Administrator and champion of the product of my organization, my question has to do with quality. Is there any plan to focus more on quality and the integrity of the system? We find way too many bugs and in our case they don't get resolved quickly and in too many cases they don't get resolved at all. They're significant problems that cause people to question the integrity and reliability of the software. For example, Tasks not showing up in Backlogs, unable to change dates (and now % Complete) on project Tasks, email comment replies getting stuck in the POP mailbox and not being sent. And then there's the general quirkiness with tasks blanking out if adding a new one, when copying a large project and having it copied 3 times, etc. It requires me to be on the phone with your Techs 2-4 times a week. And it obviously absorbs a lot of your staff time. Is there a timeline to improve the response time of the Sandbox? I've heard the new server farm would fix that, but I have not seen any results and it is so slow it is unuseable. Any chance you can move the next conference to somewhere more exotic than Salt Lake City :) I look forward to your reply and wish you all the success in the world. Thank you. Best Regards, Vic Alejandro

Level 3
Would like to know more about Workfront's product development roadmap for enhanced resource management. How soon will Workfront be able to assist the Resource Manager, and bring that role into the resource allocation decision process? In addition, we have a growing need to arrange resources into skills within job roles, not just job roles, such as having Workfront recognize needs for skill certifications and available resources with those qualifications, e.g., microsoft, cisco, industry-specify application certifications, such as Epic (healthcare), Peoplesoft, etc.

Level 4
Hello I'm curious about the direction of the request queue. Your support site used to use it but switched to a different tool so that tells me that the request queue in Workfront isn't up to where it should be if the company themself is turning away from it. Will there be changes coming? What was the reason the support site moved away from using your tool in the first place? I'm fine with either, not complaining, just curious thanks Scott

Level 5
What's the most exciting thing on Workfront's Roadmap to make it a better tool in the future then it is now? What is the biggest failure that Workfront has had in the past few years that you'd like to fix/prevent in the future? What is the biggest growing pain that Workfront is experiencing? Particularly as it gets deeper into the Enterprise market? How are you going to support your awesome employees and partners in keeping this product great? Melinda Layten mlayten@gmail.com Independent Workfront Consultant

Level 2
What is your elevator speech for workfront? What would you say to sell it to me in 30 seconds? What would you do with a $1 Billion dollar gift to Workfront?

Level 10
A lot of people already have the serious questions down, so I want to know... if you could only eat one flavor of ice cream for the rest of your life, which one would if be?