Expand my Community achievements bar.

Come join us for our Coffee Break this WEDNESDAY on top takeaways from Adobe Summit!
SOLVED

Ability to prioritize a team's tasks

Level 10

Hi WF Community,

Does anyone have ideas on how best a team can prioritize their tasks from day to day, and relay this to project managers? It would allow a team (many users) to see all of their tasks, past, present, and future, and be able to shuffle and prioritize them as project managers see fit.

Currently, we've thought of the following:

• A dashboard with task reports grouped by due date and assignee. Updating planned completion dates would account for priority. However, sometimes the team has priority tasks that are due in the past, due this week, or due in the future. Due date is not always the best indicator of priority.
  • Resource Planner - still learning the ins and outs of this tool; however, it doesn't seem to allow filtering based on the task object, and thus it shows a lot of irrelevant projects.
  • Workload Balancer - still doesn't allow you to set and view data in a custom priority fashion.

Not sure if anyone has come up with creative solutions for this?

Thanks,

Nick

Topics

Topics help categorize Community content and increase your ability to discover relevant content.

1 Accepted Solution

Correct answer by
Level 1

Hi Nick,

I see two ways of achieving this in an easy and simple way.

A: You could make a simple Kanban team, and use the Kanban board for daily prioritization. It's perfect for that and created for that exact purpose. It's very easy to setup and use, and it doesn't mess at all with the normal waterfall project plan. It's just a team thing, and users can belong to multiple teams, so it is possible to facilitate kanban teams per project if needed.

https://one.workfront.com/s/document-item?bundleId=the-new-workfront-experience&topicId=Content%2FAg...

B: Make a simple custom form with a priority field on it (dropdown, radio button ...). Attach the custom form to tasks and show it in your task view. It's very simple to update the field from the task view then, filter on it, sort by it etc. You can also use the field in reports and dashboards, as well as bulk edit it cross tasks.

View solution in original post

4 Replies

Level 10

Hi Nick,

One cornerstone to success in this area (in my opinion) is setting and following a mechanism that will prioritize Projects, in order to then prioritize Tasks. For background, I invite you to review this diagram (it's a mouthful, so chew slowly...), which happens to be a component of our JITR solution, but can also serve as framework for similar but manually-invoked procedures.

Regards,

Doug

Level 10

Doug, nice hearing from you. I will take a look see at what you've provided.

How about this nice weather lately here in Calgary (not including today or yesterday) :)

Correct answer by
Level 1

Hi Nick,

I see two ways of achieving this in an easy and simple way.

A: You could make a simple Kanban team, and use the Kanban board for daily prioritization. It's perfect for that and created for that exact purpose. It's very easy to setup and use, and it doesn't mess at all with the normal waterfall project plan. It's just a team thing, and users can belong to multiple teams, so it is possible to facilitate kanban teams per project if needed.

https://one.workfront.com/s/document-item?bundleId=the-new-workfront-experience&topicId=Content%2FAg...

B: Make a simple custom form with a priority field on it (dropdown, radio button ...). Attach the custom form to tasks and show it in your task view. It's very simple to update the field from the task view then, filter on it, sort by it etc. You can also use the field in reports and dashboards, as well as bulk edit it cross tasks.

Level 10

Thanks, Lasse.

We actually ended up going with the Kanban team idea a few weeks back. Seems to fit the bill.

Nice alternative suggestion with the custom field/form on the task; thanks!