Expand my Community achievements bar.

SVG Image Preview in Assets View Inconsistent

Level 5

Does anyone know why some SVGs in the AEM repository have preview images/thumbnails and some do not?

It seems like if the SVG has a raster image embedded in it, it doesn't generate the preview. At other times, a specific image won't update properly or generate a preview properly, but if we wait a day and upload again, the same graphic works fine.

3 Replies

Employee

@sschnelbach : considering dynamic media is engaged in your setup - can you confirm if these SVGs are processed via DAM Update asset workflow or Dynamic media?

As a side note: there is known behaviour for renditions not generated for SVG files which have embedded code which is primarily related to security (XSS) - eventually preview wont work for those SVGs

Also, a sample or two of such SVGs would help us confirm/check the stated scenario.

Level 5

Here are two SVGs that are mostly text with one (each) raster image embedded. For the first question I asked, I'm pretty sure the reason why some SVGs don't display a preview is the raster image embedded in the SVG. (And ideally, we plan to re-create these graphics to be pure SVGs/vector images with no embedded rasters.)

For the second part of the question regarding some weird processing inconsistencies, I don't have an example. It happened a few weeks ago and my graphic artist was able to get the file to upload properly by trying again either a few minutes later or a day later.

Employee

@sschnelbach Your observations are correct, if an SVG has raster images embedded it it, in that case the preview doesn't come up. 
For the other issue, I was not able to reproduce this locally where preview was generated for similar svg's with raster image. Could you capture the error logs next time you see same svg uploading correctly?