Expand my Community achievements bar.

Join us for the next Community Q&A Coffee Break on Tuesday April 23, 2024 with Eric Matisoff, Principal Evangelist, Analytics & Data Science, who will join us to discuss all the big news and announcements from Summit 2024!
SOLVED

Bounces comparison on Adobe vs Google

Level 2

Hello,

I have what I think is a unique use case that has been perplexing me lately. I have bounces collected in Adobe and Google since we are about to migrate systems.

I was comparing bounces and Google identifies roughly double the amount of bounces on our site than Adobe. This was interesting because all other data in all - traffic - channel reporting were almost identical to Adobe.

I understand there are different definitions:

Google Says:

"A bounce is a single-page session on your site. In Analytics, a bounce is calculated specifically as a session that triggers only a single request to the Analytics server, such as when a user opens a single page on your site and then exits without triggering any other requests to the Analytics server during that session."

Adobe Says:

"Bounces are defined as the number of visits to your site that contain a single image request. Custom links are included, meaning if a visit consists of a page view and a custom link, that visit is not considered a bounce."

Citation: Compare Bounces, Single Access, and Single Page Visits
Citation:  Adobe Forums

Even with these different definitions I wasn't expecting a more than 50% difference in Bounces. Any advice on troubleshooting this? Based on the data surrounding this case I believe that bounces in Adobe could be incorrectly collected.

Thanks,

Tim

1 Accepted Solution

Correct answer by
Community Advisor

Dear Tim,

I don't see any gap in the definitions. If you see lesser bounces in Adobe, it means that you have more custom links in your pages!

To narrow it down and analyze, take a page and compare the bounces. Check for the custom links in the page and try to understand the clicks on Custom Links to tally.

Thank You

Arun

View solution in original post

2 Replies

Correct answer by
Community Advisor

Dear Tim,

I don't see any gap in the definitions. If you see lesser bounces in Adobe, it means that you have more custom links in your pages!

To narrow it down and analyze, take a page and compare the bounces. Check for the custom links in the page and try to understand the clicks on Custom Links to tally.

Thank You

Arun

Level 2

Thanks PratheepArunRaj​ I think the bottom line was actually a pop up giving an extra call or 2 that would invalidate the bounce off the bat.

Appreciate the help,

Tim