Expand my Community achievements bar.

The next phase for Workfront Community ideas is coming soon. Learn all about it in our blog!
SOLVED

Why would Percent complete = 100% if there are outstanding tasks?

Level 4

I have a couple projects that are showing Percent Complete as 100%, but there are several tasks that haven't even been started. The only other oddities I see in this project are the parent tasks that are calculating as zero.

I checked the Duration Types and Task Constraints; nothing looks wrong to me.

Topics

Topics help categorize Community content and increase your ability to discover relevant content.

1 Accepted Solution

Correct answer by
Level 4

Now we're onto something. When I promoted the child tasks and recalculated, the Percent Complete calculated appropriately. I created a new parent and recalculated--no fix. Then I created new children tasks, deleted the originals, recalculated--and it worked! I don't know why, though. The task settings all looked normal. But it worked and that's all that matters.

I'm going to have the user who reported this keep an eye out for the weirdness. I suspect it stems from the project template.

Thank you for picking at the details with me.

View solution in original post

11 Replies

Community Advisor

does recalculating the timeline do anything?

Level 4

Y'know, I was hoping so. I read about that trick in another thread. It didn't do anything as far as I could see.

Level 10

Hi Lyndsy,

Is it possible that the Project > Project Details > Completion Mode > Manual (vs Automatic), in which case, the PM might then have simply "set" the Project to Complete?

Regards,

Doug

Level 4

Completion Mode is set to Manual.

The Project Status still shows as In Progress for each of these projects; it's just the Percent Complete that says 100%.

Community Advisor

is the Summary Completion Mode also set to Manual?

Community Advisor

I mean... I can't see anything wrong but what happens if you take the two tasks off their parents? i.e. is there something wrong with the parent tasks, and you need to recreate them?

Correct answer by
Level 4

Now we're onto something. When I promoted the child tasks and recalculated, the Percent Complete calculated appropriately. I created a new parent and recalculated--no fix. Then I created new children tasks, deleted the originals, recalculated--and it worked! I don't know why, though. The task settings all looked normal. But it worked and that's all that matters.

I'm going to have the user who reported this keep an eye out for the weirdness. I suspect it stems from the project template.

Thank you for picking at the details with me.

Employee

It may also be that the incomplete tasks have 0 planned hours on them. In these case, there is no additional value to add to the denominator to calculate the percent complete other than 100%. This is the only condition I can think of where the percent complete of the project shows as 100% while there are incomplete tasks.

Level 4

@Matt Mitchell‚ Yes, I believe this might be their issue. I had the same thing reported from one of my PMs - when I added 0< hours to the tasks in question, the percentage functioned properly.

Level 4

Check out the screen shot I attached with the original question, which shows we had Planned Hours in place.