Expand my Community achievements bar.

The next phase for Workfront Community ideas is coming soon. Learn all about it in our blog!
SOLVED

Associate issues and tasks with companies for cost allocation purposes

Level 5

Has anyone found a way (default or textmode) to associate issues and tasks to companies (versus projects)?

We use company for cost allocation reporting to finance each month based on hours logged to a project which is currently only associated to one company.

We are starting to brainstorm how we might transition some our IT work to an agile methodology where the work is requested and completed at a more granular level.

For example, while a project may be associated to a Line of Business (single company in waterfall), several different departments could request improvements (issues/tasks) to processes within the LOB and it would be the department's company that costs would allocated to and not the overall project.

Any suggestions or ideas would be greatly appreciated!

Topics

Topics help categorize Community content and increase your ability to discover relevant content.

1 Accepted Solution

Correct answer by
Community Advisor

Hi Tracy,

Typeaheads are a special kind of field that can be added in your custom forms. In the Typeahead configuration, you can select different object types, like User, Project, Company, etc.

Whichever object type you select in the Typeahead configuration, the custom field will then act as a "picker" field, which will make suggestions to a user and only allow them to enter a valid name.

For example, if you use the default "User" option on a Typeahead in a custom form, when someone is filling out that form, they can only enter the name of a valid Workfront user in that field. If you select "Projects" when creating the Typeahead, someone can only enter the name of a valid project in that field on a custom form. My suggestion to your challenge is to create a Typeahead field on your task and issue forms that references "Company."

0694X00000DVjJaQAL.png

0694X00000DVjJfQAL.png

I suggest reading up about it here on one.workfront.com to better understand how Typeaheads work.

Good luck!

If you like my content, please take a moment to view and vote on my Idea Requests: https://tinyurl.com/4rbpr7hf

View solution in original post

4 Replies

Community Advisor

If I understand, you have a single project with multiple bodies of work to which you want to associate to different companies?

Maybe I'm oversimplifying this, but can you not just add a Company Typeahead to the relevant task and issue forms attached to the work objects? You could update a work list view or report with the typeahead column to simplify the data entry, no text mode needed. Then, you can filter and group by the typeahead attribute.

If you like my content, please take a moment to view and vote on my Idea Requests: https://tinyurl.com/4rbpr7hf

Level 5

Hi William

Yes - a single project with multiple bodies of work to which you want to associate to different companies

I realized in error that I wrote textmode (which denotes a reporting issue in my mind) when really I am looking to add the Company field normally associated with a project to a task or issue. I need to be able to add it in order to report on it (the reporting isn't the issue).

Regardless, I am not familiar with the term 'Typeahead' so could you explain this a bit more and how I might add it to the issue or task.

Correct answer by
Community Advisor

Hi Tracy,

Typeaheads are a special kind of field that can be added in your custom forms. In the Typeahead configuration, you can select different object types, like User, Project, Company, etc.

Whichever object type you select in the Typeahead configuration, the custom field will then act as a "picker" field, which will make suggestions to a user and only allow them to enter a valid name.

For example, if you use the default "User" option on a Typeahead in a custom form, when someone is filling out that form, they can only enter the name of a valid Workfront user in that field. If you select "Projects" when creating the Typeahead, someone can only enter the name of a valid project in that field on a custom form. My suggestion to your challenge is to create a Typeahead field on your task and issue forms that references "Company."

0694X00000DVjJaQAL.png

0694X00000DVjJfQAL.png

I suggest reading up about it here on one.workfront.com to better understand how Typeaheads work.

Good luck!

Level 5

William I can't thank you enough!

This is exactly what I was looking for. I have fallen behind on my WF release updates due to other organizational priorities and did not realize this object type had deployed.

Not only does it offer an opportunity to move one step closer to using Agile within my instance, but it has created some process improvements immediately.

Thanks again!!