Expand my Community achievements bar.

The Community Advisors application is now OPEN for the second class of 2024. Apply to become a part of this exclusive program!

Warning for right-clickers - this is being removed in 2019.1

Level 10
Hi, I, and most of our PMs, heavily use the right-click functionality to insert new tasks, delete tasks, edit tasks etc. In 2019.1 with the introduction of the new Task List functionality, the right-click function is being removed and instead, users are shown 3 small dots on the right of the task name box. If they click this then they get the same context menu that they used to get with right-clicking. The main issue with this is that it really slows users down when they are making lots of edits/insertions etc. With right-clicking, you can right-click anywhere on the task and the menu appears. With this change, users will need to find and precisely click on the 3 dots...this is surprisingly tricky and really slows me down, and it feels like a massive backwards step in terms of ease of use. A secondary issue is that the space for the 3 dots is taken out of the Task Name field so it adds extra blank space and consumes precious screen real estate. I really don't like this change and have passed this feedback on to Workfront several times but it looks like they're persisting with this change. If you agree (or disagree) with me, please add your comments here and also submit a ticket to Support to pass on to Product Management if you would like this decision revisited. Thanks Regards, David David Cornwell
72 Replies

Level 10
Wow, sounds like a step back. I'm glad you pointed this out, I don't think this will be a "well received enhancement". Thanks! Admin Kelly-Wehrmann SSFCU

Level 1
Seems like a really bad idea to me. When are these changes going to roll out? Has Workfront said why they are making this change? Must have been some reasoning behind it. Laura Selzer Expeditors International of Washington, Inc.

Level 3
Agreed. This is a bad move. Wayne Ellyson OH-DAS

Level 2
I agree. The right-click is super easy and quick. Perhaps they can keep both? Kimberly Hodnett Medtronic.

Level 2
As an Admin and PM I user the right click all the time. I'm not happy that this is being removed or that the task name field is going to be smaller. Alex DiFonzo Synchronoss

Level 3
Wow - bad move! We use the right click constantly and this would cause a pretty big uproar with my users. Barb Pilarski Pittsburgh Penguins

Level 7
This is an incredibly bad move and feels like a major step backward. This is going to cause Major Headaches if it's released as such. John O'Sullivan Bristol-Myers Squibb Company

Level 10
I agree, thanks for letting us know, this is a terrible step backward. There are so many things that could be improved that they are spending time changing something that's not broken is kind of astounding.

Level 6
Another of our applications recently updated and took away our right-click functionality. I cannot undersell how much of a headache it's been unlearning 25+ years of behavior. Our users will right-click for something, and then remember that "Oh yeah, right-click doesn't work here." In that application, it seemed like a needless change that just caused frustration. Is there a rationale for why the right-click is being taken away? Why can't it just stay in? Vincent Goodwin The Capital Group Companies

Level 4
No!! Tracy Bryant UF IFAS Communications

Level 2
Agree, it's small change, but would be a major pain to deal with. Andrew Daniels Gartner, Inc.

Community Advisor
I just went into Preview to take a look at this and I'm seeing a lot of issues with the task list. The 3 dots are certainly far less efficient than right clicking. In my view the Start On and Due on columns are also extra wide, not sure why. But they further decrease the width of the task name column and the Assignments column. Both now wrap the text to the point it's difficult to read. Also the way the page scrolls as you move down through the task list is an issue. Currently the scoll bar affects the whole page, so as you scroll down, the header gradually moves up and out of view. In Preview the scroll bar affects just the list of tasks, so as you begin to scroll down through tasks when you get to a certain point, the header jumps out of view. Using the top/bottom arrows to scroll probably wouldn't be horrible, but I normally grab the scroll bar and drag that. On the particular project I'm looking at, as I scroll down past task #3 at the bottom of the page, the page jumps and I can barely see task #4 at the top of the page, so then I have to do some extra clicking on the arrow at the top of the scroll bar to get it back down, because if I drag the scroll bar up just a little it jumps back to the top of the page. This will be real frustrating if it moves to production.

Level 4
Agree, this will be extremely frustrating for our users! Olivia Harrison Telegraph Media Group Limited

Level 4
I am not a fan of this change either! I agree with the issues David has described. And...if it affects the ability to bulk edit as we currently can with the right click, we will really not be happy! Denise Moore Ameritas Life Insurance Corp

Level 4
Hi Heather, we've also experienced the same issues that you are describing in preview. The wrapping of text makes it extremely difficult to read task names, and the scrolling makes the information on the screen jump around and isn't clear when the user is scrolling. We also dislike that when you make an edit to one of the tasks it greys the whole task out whilst processing the change. Before it just greyed out the task name, if that is what you were changing, or the due date is greyed out because we are only changing the due date etc. We've also found several instances where the screens are set up to accommodate scrolling on a touchpad, and not with a remote mouse. Hopefully Workfront will listen to our feedback and make appropriate changes. Olivia Harrison Telegraph Media Group Limited

Level 6
Agreed, this is not an improvement. Thanks for flagging it. I have not been in the preview lately and had no idea this was coming. I provided feedback within preview. Hoping if enough people chime in, WF will rethink this direction. Catherine Hayes The Channel Company

Level 3
Bad idea Workfront! I've used right click for years and it really increases my efficiency in moving around the project. Please review this with your dev teams and change their viewing lens to a user-focused one. Bill Gattinger ATB Financial

Level 9
Yeah, not a fan. I kind of get the idea- make it more obvious that there are additional options by adding an obvious "thing" to click on, but I much prefer the right-click option. Anthony Pernice Healthcare Consultancy Group

Level 1
Really not looking forward to this, as I am already struggling to gain adoption of this tool in Marketing. This will make them moan and groan even more. Please no. Nikki Sitzmann Production Manager Rimini Street Inc.

Community Advisor
I feel like applications are moving to things like the 3 dots as more and more people are doing their work on mobile devices where the right-click isn't an option. But removing the right-click option makes things super inefficient for the rest of us.