Expand my Community achievements bar.

Trying to understand groups

Level 10
We already have teams set up on Workfront (e.g. QA, Development) but other than it looking tidy to organise users into departmental divisions or whatever, what would be the main benefit of us also having groups set up? Between our current departments (if we were gonna create groups in that sense) we don't have a need to specify any different statuses for projects/tasks/issues which seems to be the main thing you can configure? Jamie Hill JLL
2 Replies

Level 10
mainly permissions, access and visibility (not just visibility of different status, but all-round). I use Teams to assign work. Everyone on the team does the same thing. I use Groups to (as you mentioned) organize people who see the same thing. Our Marketing Group has visibility into all projects (we work on all projects). It is comprised of the Design, Print, and Writing teams, who are assigned specific tasks in each project. The Retirement Group has can view only Retirement projects in the Retirement portfolio (they would prefer to only see projects related to them). To put it another way, if you start off with groups and teams it will be more scaleable for you. i.e. you may eventually find a need to distinguish who does something vs. who sees something. (if more people join my instance, I will be able to simply add them to an existing group and they will enjoy all the same permissions of anyone on that group. If people join my instance and I don't have it set up so that there's a group for them to join, then I have to remember what they need access to and add them to that object sharing list. This is especially applicable to temps (having contract workers come and go, or come and then get transferred elsewhere)) I'm big into roles and responsibilities, so personally even if a group only has 2 people it's useful to set it up because it's a big indicator to your backup or replacement system admin what role that group has in your system. By the way, were you able to make any sense of the help article

Level 10
Hi, We use groups for our different business units. This way we can have just one global instance. Groups help out a lot with security and separating things from the different business units. This is from the 2016 LEAP conference, but is helpful to know what the difference is between teams, groups, and companies. Anthony Imgrund FCB