Expand my Community achievements bar.

Update Feed - Limited to 300 fields

Level 2

We recently came across a warning that we had reach the limit to the number of fields we are tracking in the update feed (300 fields).  Most of these are custom fields.  In many cases, tracking the changes to these fields are critical.  We are a large institution and using Workfront as an Enterprise solutions.  Each group in our system has their fields they want to track.   Has anyone found a way around this?

Update Feeds.PNG

Topics

Topics help categorize Community content and increase your ability to discover relevant content.

2 Replies

Community Advisor

This came up for us recently too. Agree that you'd think the max for an enterprise solution would be higher.

To free up the number of fields you're tracking, I'd go to any deactivated custom forms you have an stop tracking any tracked fields. When a form is deactivated, it's natural to not think to untrack any fields so you can get some of that # back.

If this helped you, please mark correct to help others : )

Community Advisor

We don't use this functionality unless direly pressed, for this reason (limited number of fields).

Like Madalyn, I'd advise you to audit your fields and determine whether the tracked fields are:

1) really being used that much (e.g. are they on deactivated fields? are they being used once a year? Is the working team really using the information as much as they promised you that they would?) and

2) whether or not there are any other alternative solutions. (how are they using this information? what do they need it for? how are they looking it up? Is there a better way?) Many admins might opt for calculated fields which write similar historical record information to the custom form rather than to the update stream, as an example. 

On a side note: @Doug_Den_Hoed__AtAppStore  -- I don't know if your health checking app looks at the update feed information (/setup/update-feeds) at all, but this wasn't on my radar for our internal checks so now I am happy to put one more thing on the admin maintenance list to keep up to date. That said, in an instance with 131 active workflows, we have 130 custom form fields being tracked and I've never checked to see which fields are actively being used so this number will probably reduce shortly. Additional note to self - check to make sure that if I delete a field, it removes itself from this page.