Expand my Community achievements bar.

The Community Advisors application is now OPEN for the second class of 2024. Apply to become a part of this exclusive program!

Resource Planner

Level 10
Hi All, So I admittedly haven't jumped into the new Resource Planner yet (combination of organizational change and waiting for WF to smooth the edges). But currently in the legacy version you can go to the Business Case and manually enter hours/FTE by Role and we do reporting off those hours. Then when the Project Plan is ready, we can do a "Set Budget to Schedule" in order to pull in the hours from the Project Plan and place them in this same grid. And use the same report to view the hours by month. From what I saw of the new resource planner I believe that goes away. Is that correct? So the Planned Hours are only taken directly from the project plan? Thank you in advance for your help. Best Regards. Vic Alejandro MPM, PMP, CSM Denver Board of Water Commissioners
8 Replies

Level 10
Hi Vic, All the functionality you described is available on the Business Case through Resource Budgeting section and Set Roles' Planned Hours as Budgeted functionality, except reporting on Budgeted Hours. There is an Idea Exchange post on that piece:

Level 10
Hi Vic - so I have one team that uses the Set Budget To Schedule as almost like their baseline of hours. One thing we noticed, it only sets the budget for the time frame shown. So if you only have four weeks shown, it only sets the budget for the four weeks. To get the whole project, you have to go to the quarter view and try to get it to fit in. (And if it is more than 4 quarters, you will have to do it multiple times.) Not sure why they went with that approach but when I provided the feedback they said they did it this way based on their research. (Not sure who they asked as only budgeting half a project seems weird). Anthony Imgrund FCB

Level 10
Thanks Vazgen! This helps a lot. Thought the link just takes me to the support page. I searched but wasn't sure which Exchange idea you're referring to.

Level 10
Hi folks, For the Idea Exchange link, not sure why it doesn't link properly but this is the name of the post: RESOURCE PLANNER - CUSTOMISE REPORT (USE SCENARIO) Anthony, agreed on the usability portion of it for projects spanning multiple quarters :) The research we referred to was for the number of projects that span multiple quarters as opposed to those that are only covering 3-4 weeks/months - the latter was a much more common scenario. In general though, if your plan and budget are always 100% equal to each other, there is little point in actually budgeting the projects as you can just start from project plan. Which is why we are working on column customization to allow you to ignore budgeting portion, if you don't do that in your organization. Thanks, Vazgen Babayan Product Manager Workfront

Level 10
Link to the idea mentioned by Vazgan as below: Still need 12 votes for it! So please Vote vote vote! :) "https://support.workfront.com/hc/en-us/community/posts/360016421813-Resource-Planner-Customise-Report-use-scenario-">https://support.workfront.com/hc/en-us/community/posts/360016421813-Resource-Planner-Customise-Repor... Dagmara Garwell BAKKAVOR LTD

Level 10
LOL. Doesn't everybody budget only a portion of their project? Thanks for the info. This is very helpful.

Level 10
@Vazgen Babayan - hopefully you're also looking at letting users control the number of decimal places too as (up to) 3 DP is a bit too detailed even for someone like me.. :) Jamie Hill JLL EMEA

Level 10
Hi Jamie, The reason we went that route is that when hours are distributed between weeks rounding takes place and there will be a precision loss is operating with, for example, only one digit and FTE/cost values. It can also lead to a certain small discrepancy between the sum of budgeted hours on the project and the sum of budgeted hours on roles underneath it, since rounding also happens on the project level. Will this loss of precision be acceptable to you? We do consider providing that ability, but I want to be fully transparent on what that might entail with regards to the data being presented. Vazgen Babayan Product Manager Workfront