Expand my Community achievements bar.

Resource Management - what is the best way to determine which new project requests can be worked on versus which ones will have conflicts with resources on other projects?

Level 3

We are trying to get a better view regarding how many planned hours each project will take and the remaining hours, what the roles on each project are and the # of hours each role has planned on the project. We have the following:

1. A resource management dashboard that has reports based on teams and their availability. These reports are built in the Portfolio Optimizer using filters. The URL is copied from the filter and a report is added to the dashboard by selecting "Add External Page" and pasting the URL
  2. A report that shows the projects by priority (the report pulls this info from the Portfolio Optimizer) and also includes the total # of planned hours for the project as well as the number of remaining hours for that project.
  3. A report that is grouped by projects and then by job role which also includes the # of hours each job role has assigned to them for every project.
  4. A report grouped by Job Role and then by Project to show how many hours every job role has assigned to them and then how they are assigned across projects.

The goal is to be able to review new project requests, determine which job roles will be necessary to work on the project and then determine when the project can be started based on current capacity across those job roles. It feels very manual and labor intensive to gather that data from the reports and I am wondering if anyone has produced reporting that would help automate it?

Topics

Topics help categorize Community content and increase your ability to discover relevant content.

6 Replies

Employee

Hi Mike,

Am I correct in my understanding that you are looking for total planned hour values, not period-specific?

Employee

In this case, it looks like those reports are possible with some combination of Text Mode and native reporting.

• #2 is possible by using a project type report, Portfolio Priority field (that's Optimizer priority) and Planned Hours, Actual Hours column, as well as Text Mode column for their difference
  • #3 and #4 are possible using Assignment-type reports
  • #1 is not very clear to me, can you provide a screenshot of the Excel file you use? We do have plans to add reporting capabilities to resource management data but what you are looking for may be possible even today.

Level 10

Any reply have you (@Vazgen Babayan‚ ) received from Mike Godown.

Just curious to know further in this discussion.

Mvh

Kundan.

Level 3

Learning as we go. We are going to start adding the budgeted resources to the business case and then work to build some reports that reflect projected budgeted hours per role vs. actual planned hours by role, by month. WIP

We are also starting to look at updating actual hours.