Expand my Community achievements bar.

The next phase for Workfront Community ideas is coming soon. Learn all about it in our blog!
SOLVED

Report that combines record count from two custom fields?

Level 2

We have a custom form attached to each task in a project. There are two fields in the form (dropdowns where only one selection is allowed) -- Primary Service Line and Secondary Service Line -- that we want to report on. But we want the record count from the two fields combined. For example, if blue is chosen as the primary service line in 12 tasks and chosen as the secondary service line in 5 tasks, I want the report to show me 17 for blue. I have not been able to figure out if this can be done and if so how. I've searched help but haven't found anything on this type of scenario. Anyone have ideas or a solid answer? Any help is much appreciated.

1 Accepted Solution

Correct answer by
Level 8

We had a similar experience where we wanted to count certain drop down options from 12 different fields with like drop down options to be able to sum them up on a summary report.

Maybe this can help you out with your scenario.

Here is an example on what we did with a calculated field that we set to a number output on the field. 

SUM(IF(CONTAINS("Promotion",{DE:Offer #1 Type}),1,0),IF(CONTAINS("Promotion",{DE:Offer #2 Type}),1,0),IF(CONTAINS("Promotion",{DE:Offer #3 Type}),1,0),IF(CONTAINS("Promotion",{DE:Offer #4 Type}),1,0),IF(CONTAINS("Promotion",{DE:Offer #5 Type}),1,0),IF(CONTAINS("Promotion",{DE:Offer #6 Type}),1,0),IF(CONTAINS("Promotion",{DE:Offer #7 Type}),1,0),IF(CONTAINS("Promotion",{DE:Offer #8 Type}),1,0),IF(CONTAINS("Promotion",{DE:Offer #9 Type}),1,0),IF(CONTAINS("Promotion",{DE:Offer #10 Type}),1,0),IF(CONTAINS("Promotion",{DE:Offer #11 Type}),1,0),IF(CONTAINS("Promotion",{DE:Offer #12 Type}),1,0))

Screenshot 2023-06-05 at 9.24.12 AM.png

Screenshot 2023-06-05 at 9.24.43 AM.png

View solution in original post

5 Replies

Level 4

What I'm hearing is that you want a column for each possible service line and whether it is the primary or secondary count it and add up the total.

So you are logically asking: if(contains(A, "Blue") or contains(B,  "Blue"), 1, 0) and sum that up for your grouping? 

The easiest way to do this would probably be to create calculated fields on your form that are named Is Blue, Is Green, etc and then use those in reports as it will allow you fairly quickly build reports and charts that are hard or impossible when doing the calculation in the report itself.

Thank you for your response. I was thinking it might need to be calculated fields, but was hoping for a solution in the reports. Looks like I will have to do the calculated fields!

Correct answer by
Level 8

We had a similar experience where we wanted to count certain drop down options from 12 different fields with like drop down options to be able to sum them up on a summary report.

Maybe this can help you out with your scenario.

Here is an example on what we did with a calculated field that we set to a number output on the field. 

SUM(IF(CONTAINS("Promotion",{DE:Offer #1 Type}),1,0),IF(CONTAINS("Promotion",{DE:Offer #2 Type}),1,0),IF(CONTAINS("Promotion",{DE:Offer #3 Type}),1,0),IF(CONTAINS("Promotion",{DE:Offer #4 Type}),1,0),IF(CONTAINS("Promotion",{DE:Offer #5 Type}),1,0),IF(CONTAINS("Promotion",{DE:Offer #6 Type}),1,0),IF(CONTAINS("Promotion",{DE:Offer #7 Type}),1,0),IF(CONTAINS("Promotion",{DE:Offer #8 Type}),1,0),IF(CONTAINS("Promotion",{DE:Offer #9 Type}),1,0),IF(CONTAINS("Promotion",{DE:Offer #10 Type}),1,0),IF(CONTAINS("Promotion",{DE:Offer #11 Type}),1,0),IF(CONTAINS("Promotion",{DE:Offer #12 Type}),1,0))

Screenshot 2023-06-05 at 9.24.12 AM.png

Screenshot 2023-06-05 at 9.24.43 AM.png

Community Advisor

Since these are not multi-select dropdowns, can't you just have a task report grouped by [fields dropdowns], and the record count would show with the grouping counts?

If this helped you, please mark correct to help others : )

Level 2

I can do that for one field or the other, but it won't combine the results for the two fields. Unless you know of a trick that I haven't discovered yet.