Expand my Community achievements bar.

Removing the Subject field from the Request form

Level 10
Hey everyone, >Renaming the Subject field on the request form is currently one of the top-voted items for the Idea Exchange. We are currently debating an option to automatically generate incoming request names using a predefined naming convention and remove the Subject field from the request form altogether. There are several options we're thinking of for the naming convention, so your feedback will be invaluable for us to understand whether we are close with our hypothesis or completely off track. If you could please fill up the form below, that would help us immensely!
76 Replies

Level 5
This would be prefered as long as we can still customize the 'layout' of the form. Tammie Bouchard National Safety Council

Level 7
@Vazgen Babayan I like this idea.. ^ Dustin Martin Assigned Support Engineer Workfront

Level 7
Agreed! "Name" is a very misleading label for this; it would be better to revert to "Subject" while working on an option to make it customizable. Linnie Ciepielowski Esri

Level 10
I think the Subject Field should be an option under NEW ISSUE FIELDS under queue setup. You have name of project that tells you type of request and then queue topics to help narrow down topic. If detailed info is needed it can be added within custom form. Thanks. Susan

Level 10
Hello. Releasing this outside normal releases is not a good idea. I do not prefer name...all our users are trained Subject. This field needs to be an option under queue setup. Susan

Level 10
NAME is not a good option. All users are familiar with Subject and we use the queues often. I'm not certain why you changed this outside of release. Susan

Level 7
Hey Susan, While I have heard that idea quite a few times in the past, the reason it hasn't been put under consideration is that every object in Workfront has to have a name. I think being able to customize the field name would be the best option, but I'm on our Support team, so Vazgen would definitely be the best resource to work on this idea. This thread is quite visible to us, so we definitely understand the pain here, and want to make sure we provide the best solution for everyone. Thanks for responding, the feedback is definitely helping us out! Dustin Martin Assigned Support Engineer Workfront

Level 3
I agree with Susan!! Needing to enter something in the subject field often creates redundant information for us. If it could be optional like Description, Priority, etc., that would be great! Barb Pilarski Pittsburgh Penguins

Level 10
I just put a complaint into Marilyn and Sharleen. This should not take place directly into live environment. Susan

Level 10
Love this William!!! Katherine Haven, PMP VP, Director, Business Technologies - PMO FCB

Level 10
Hi everyone, The changes have been reverted and the label "Subject" has returned. We will return to solving the confusion problem in the scope of a general initiative of enhancing Workfront intake solution. Thank you for taking time and providing feedback on the change! Thanks, Vazgen Babayan Product Manager Workfront

Level 9
Hey Vic - can you tell me more about that API? Sounds interesting!

Level 10
Hi Christina, Well, it's been magical �� . Not to exaggerate but it's really been suuuuuuuper helpful to us in many workflows. Renaming Requests is one of the easier ones. We've also moved data from the form to the Description of the Request so users don't have to open the form and Approvers (who aren't usually in WF) don't have to know where the form is. We're up to 139 workflows we've created with it such as: Converting a New Hire Request into a Project with many tasks (and removing the tasks that aren't needed based on what was selected in the form)). We just finished a Project "Hygiene" Score workflow that I might submit to speak about at Leap. Basically, it checks your plan for whatever things you want to flag (i.e. incomplete tasks with dates in the past, unpaid Expenses with dates in the past and so on). It allows our PMO to see if your project plan is up to date by just looking at a report. Then we'll write a job to automatically comment to the Project Owner that their Project Hygiene Score needs to be fixed. But it needs to be coded obviously. I'm fortunate enough to work in IT and have an awesome developer at my convenience. And they've coded it to be data driven so I can create jobs without them having to do coding changes all the time. But basically if I can dream it, they can make it happen (just depends on how long it might take depending on the complexity). Feel free to give me a call or email me directly if you want more info.

Level 2
And for those less fortunate than Vic, who don't have a tame developer at hand, there is always Fusion, which provides code-free API functionality which we are starting to create significant value with in similar areas such as renaming projects based on data entered on custom forms... Regards Bob