Expand my Community achievements bar.

SOLVED

Naming Convention

Level 1

Is there a way to enforce naming conventions for object like Projects, Tasks in workfront?
And also for documents one uploads at task or project level?

1 Accepted Solution

Correct answer by
Community Advisor

Hi,

There is no way to achieve this natively within Workfront. If you have Fusion, however, this can be easily achieved with a simple scenario that watches for newly created objects and adjusts the name to a preset naming convention

Best regards,

Rich. 

View solution in original post

4 Replies

Correct answer by
Community Advisor

Hi,

There is no way to achieve this natively within Workfront. If you have Fusion, however, this can be easily achieved with a simple scenario that watches for newly created objects and adjusts the name to a preset naming convention

Best regards,

Rich. 

Level 2

I would love to learn how to do this. Would you be able to help me out?

Level 2

@Richard80  I have Fusion and I'm new to using it, so I'm trying to learn as much as I can to help automate alot of things.

Would you be able to help me set-up something to run in Fusion?

Community Advisor

Oh, the age old desire of an admin that will always have a struggle haha. 
Enforcing naming conventions can take time for an org but you can do some things to help folks remember:
- If you have PMs, have them reinforce it for their groups/projects (check namings and fix or point out to the owners to fix and eventually they should get the hang of it)

- If you don't have PMs or someone that can help you reinforce, every now and then when seeing incorrect project names I used to fix them and then ping the user that I've changed it and why, but this wasn't helping them learn. It takes patience but I started pinging them in WF to have THEM change it and how - the act of them doing it I think helped even though it was more tedious on my end to follow up and see they've made the change. It wasn't a daily thing I did, just on and off. Eventually that became the minority, thankfully.

- Assess your convention. Is it easily adoptable? Does it have some room for flexibility like using : instead of - ? Ex: Press Release: Earth Day is convention but also Press Release - Earth Day can fly too.

- What is your convention? If you're using certain fields, you can created a calculated custom form field that concats these fields together. For example, if you use Ref ID or Program name with the main project name, you can create a field that concats Project name (what is entered as main project name) + Ref ID + Program. Then you can have this automatically populate in project reports in place of using the native Project Name field. It won't show in the actual project name like this, just in the project custom form field and reports that field is used.

If this helped you, please mark correct to help others : )