Expand my Community achievements bar.

More than one decision on a proof workflow?

Level 4
Like @Anthony Imgrund said, we use proofing stages to accomplish this. Using this feature allows you to specify, on a stage level, whether you require a single approval for the stage or everyone's approval. Taking it further, you can then have multiple consecutive stages featuring any combination of single or group approvals. We use Workfront to traffic all of our packaging and we use the proofing stages / workflows to easily add groups of pre-defined teams or single reviewers to the proofing workflows. Richard Carlson Behr Paint Company Santa Ana, CA
Topics

Topics help categorize Community content and increase your ability to discover relevant content.

14 Replies

Level 10
Hi James - why don't you use stages? Then you can have Make One Decision for Outside Counsel, that stage locks, and then it will notify your internal team and they can go in. We use automated workflows all the time and they are fantastic. Like for us, we put all the brand editors into the Edit stage even though only one needs to look at it. So for that stage we have Only One Decision Needed. But for Account, we might need each account person to review (especially when it is final route to clean) and so that stage requires all people make a decision. Anthony Imgrund FCB

Level 2
We have the same challenge. Since we deal with on-air promotions, we have several QC processes for a spot, to check for technical quality, spelling, aesthetics, etc. Once the spot is ready for air, the producer creating the spot needs to approve, and then it comes to me and my boss. We both have "final" approval, but either of us can override the other in cases where errors are found (although my boss has the prerogative to pull an approval back for subjective reasons). Multiple stages provide a problem, however, as we have Associate Producers who need to monitor each proof through all stages, to keep the projects moving to delivered. Being on a single stage means they miss updates/decisions on another, which is unacceptable. It would be great to be able to require more than one decision on a single stage so that we can guarantee QC in triplicate on each spot that goes out. Scott Craven INSP, LLC.

Level 10
Hi Scott - whoever is monitoring the route, they should be in the first stage (or a stage that is activated upon proof creation if you separate producers from editorial) and have the Notification setting of Decision. That way they get notifications when every decision is made, who made it, and what the decision was. Trust me, our producers would lose their minds if they didn't get email notifications. We have over 8,000 proofs going through the system a month, you can't track that manually. Anthony Imgrund FCB

Level 2
Anthony - All of this is spot on. We use the notifications and stages exactly in the way you're referencing (safety in numbers!). Is there any method you know of where one individual can have approval rights on more than one stage. We often have folks who make decisions for OTHER people at different stages of approval (one point of contact - representing different business interests). It FEELS like the solution is just to pull those different people into the system for proof approval but if there was a way around it would be great.
-- "https://www.capitalone.com/" style="margin:0px;padding:0px;border:0px;font-weight:inherit;font-style:inherit;font-family:inherit;vertical-align:baseline;color:rgb(4,53,97)" Jeremy Newman Creative Project Management Lead • Brand 299 Park Ave, New York, NY 10171 347-638-3971 646-528-4949
The information contained in this e-mail is confidential and/or proprietary to Capital One and/or its affiliates and may only be used solely in performance of work or services for Capital One. The information transmitted herewith is intended only for use by the individual or entity to which it is addressed. If the reader of this message is not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any review, retransmission, dissemination, distribution, copying or other use of, or taking of any action in reliance upon this information is strictly prohibited. If you have received this communication in error, please contact the sender and delete the material from your computer.

Level 10
Not currently. But after years of begging, Product did tell us it was on the 12 month roadmap. So I'm hopin', wishin', and prayin' by the end of the year we can have the same person on multiple stages!!! :) Anthony Imgrund FCB

Level 4
Hello all, just wanted to circle back on this. Thanks Anthony and others for the suggestions. It seems like stages would be the way to go, however, after consulting with Workfront, there isn't a way currently to generate a report on the time frame from when a stage is activated to when the final decision is made within the stage. You can see the time stamps in the activity history, but not report on it. They suggested I add this idea to the Idea Exchange. Best regards, James Matsubayashi Toyota Financial Services

Level 7
Like @Anthony Imgrund said, we use proofing stages to accomplish this. Using this feature allows you to specify, on a stage level, whether you require a single approval for the stage or everyone's approval. Taking it further, you can then have multiple consecutive stages featuring any combination of single or group approvals. We use Workfront to traffic all of our packaging and we use the proofing stages / workflows to easily add groups of pre-defined teams or single reviewers to the proofing workflows. Richard Carlson Behr Paint Company Santa Ana, CA

Level 5

To follow up on this thread: how to do prevent the need to go back to the beginning if someone in a later stage has edits? Say there are six stages. If stage 4 has edits, and stages 1-3 don't need to see, how does Proof allow you to do that?

Level 10

Hi Ryan - you can unlock stages so that people can go back and comment/reply. In the Proof Details (in Classic) and in Proofing Workflow (in NWE), you can just click the lock icon to unlock it.

You can also just leave the stage unlocked even after a decision is made in the stage settings. We do this with our Account stage because the account people always need to go in an reply and/or add new comments. Hope that helps :)

Level 5

Unlocking I get, but how to do add a new proof without going all the way to the back?

Right now, we have a simple two step approval: Peer Review and Marketing Manager. Peer Review doesn't need to see Marketing Manager comments, but every time i upload a new proof, it sends me back to the Peer Reviewer.

Level 10

Every time you upload a new version, you have the option to change the approval process. So your two options are to make all the Peer Reviewer people just Reviewers so that no approval is needed (but they can still see the new version and comment if they'd like), or you can just delete the Peer Reviewer stage all together (although note, they will not be able to see the new version).

Level 5

Roger that. I can see how to enable "Delete Stage" in the ProofHQ settings. I'll share the results with the business.

I don't know why I could have SWORN automated workflows could see which stage already approved it, but I guess that was a quarantine fever dream.

Level 2

Hi All -- Hope this isn't inappropriate, but I'm an Admin with 4 years of WF experience (set up our instance) who is new to Proof because of WFH and (happily!) was somehow copied on this thread. I am trying to get multiple disparate teams each with their own requirements set up in the tool, all at once because of WFH and have my own questions about proof and have a multi-step automated workflow I've been asked to set up which I am struggling with. What is the best way to get a new thread started (sorry, I know that's a really basic question) that reaches out to the wisdom/experience of this group? Any help appreciated. JP