Expand my Community achievements bar.

SOLVED

Is there a way to create free text columns in project views?

Level 2

Hi there,

I am looking for a way to add a free text field into a project view that our project managers can enter manually into.

The intention is creating an EAC that goes by project revenue, and not cost. We would like project managers to manually update planned hours in this free text column. In doing so we can compare this with original planned hours and get an updated EAC based on that.

Any questions, let me know.

Thanks,

Alex

1 Accepted Solution

Correct answer by
Level 3

Hi Alex!

This can be achieved through a custom form field on the project.

You'll need to:

1. Create or alter an existing project custom form by adding a field for the info you want them to be able to imput in the view.
  2. Attach the custom form to the project. (if you updated an existing one and you'll need to remove the form, re-attach and complete)
  3. Create a Project View and add the column by typing in the name of the field you created
  4. Save your View
  5. Go back to Projects and select your new/updated view
  6. From there you can in-line edit the new field

Note: This will only work if the new/updated form is added to every project. 

View solution in original post

7 Replies

Community Advisor

Alex,

You could create a custom field for this that you can attach to a custom form.  You would then apply the form to any existing projects.  I would also attach the custom form to your project template(s) so when new projects are created this form and field are available.  Once these pieces are in place you can create a unique view adding this new field that all your PMs can use.  If you want make this a default view always, you can go into layout templates and under the Lists, you can make your new view the default for Projects.  Hope this helps.

Correct answer by
Level 3

Hi Alex!

This can be achieved through a custom form field on the project.

You'll need to:

1. Create or alter an existing project custom form by adding a field for the info you want them to be able to imput in the view.
  2. Attach the custom form to the project. (if you updated an existing one and you'll need to remove the form, re-attach and complete)
  3. Create a Project View and add the column by typing in the name of the field you created
  4. Save your View
  5. Go back to Projects and select your new/updated view
  6. From there you can in-line edit the new field

Note: This will only work if the new/updated form is added to every project. 

Level 2

Hi Holly, Kurt,

Thanks for coming back to me!

I've followed your steps and have added this into the project view, however it's only showing as an editable field within the project settings. From the view it shows as a blank field that only populates with data if it's edited within the custom form itself. Is there something I'm missing?

EAC2.pngEAC.png

Level 3

Hey Alex, Could be a few things going on. If it was a field you created, and not and existing one, the new form would need to be added to all projects. Also, it's not terribly intuitive and requires a double click for in-line editing. It could also be a sharing/access rights problem at the manager level. Check that they have manage access to the custom form and the project. Hope this helps!

Level 2

Thanks Holly!

I managed to get it sorted through some experimentation. Greatly appreciate your support with this.

Community Advisor

Hi @AlexMa1  your second screenshot looks like a list of tasks - which is essentially a task report. But it looks like that field is on a project. In order to edit a field in a task report, I believe that field has to be on a task, not on the project level.

Level 2

Thanks Heather!

I'm in the process of trying to set up an automated custom field that uses percentage complete to assess what percentage of planned revenue there is left to go, and add actual revenue for a projected forecast. I can't see where I'm going wrong here. Is there a better way to do this?

Alex

bug2.png