Expand my Community achievements bar.

The next phase for Workfront Community ideas is coming soon. Learn all about it in our blog!

I need to identify the assigned Project Manager in our company projects. I am trying to create that column in a view but can't seem to find the correct text mode fields/sequences for this. Has anyone done this or similar designation by role in projects?

Level 1

Topics

Topics help categorize Community content and increase your ability to discover relevant content.

5 Replies

Level 10

First question: Is the project manager not the Project Owner?

Secondly, if the are the Project Owner, what object type are you looking at?

If it is a list of projects, the valuefield=owner:name (which should be out of box though, so you might not need text mode)

If you are looking at a list of tasks or issues, you want the valuefield to be valuefield=project:owner:name

Hope that helps. Let me know if that doesn't quite cover it. :)

Level 1

Anthony,

In most cases the owner is not the PM. Our Engineers own many projects and only certain ones will get a PM. So the I need a column with the owner (standard choice and have it already) but also one that defines who is assigned to the PM role in that project as well.

Level 7

Depending on the complexity of your use-case, you could do it with a calculated field - assuming that the decision of 'Gets a PM' Yes/No and who the PM is can be easily determined by data already being recorded. Is that decision discrete enough for you to be able to say 'If this field is X, then assign PM Y' with consistency?

Level 10

Gotcha!

My recommendation would be to use a custom field on the project's custom form. We use it for Account Lead and Finance Contact. You have two options:

1. Just create a single line of text field
  2. Use the Typeahead field and have it set to look at your users

Personally I like Option 2 because then you don't have to worry about spelling errors or nicknames being used. Please you can build reports to easily filter on the PM.

However, if you ever have two PMs, you will need to use options 1 as the typeahead field only allows one option.

Once you have the custom field created on the form, you will then see it "out of the box" in your choices on reports.

Level 1

Thank you all for the input! I was able to get a code snippet for this! It can be changed to designate any role. You would have to change the role ID numerical string in the valueexpression line and of course the display name. We may take out the bulleted list option but at the moment it helps with multiple PM's on larger projects and we are happy with how this turned out!

displayname=Designer(s)

listdelimiter=<div>

listmethod=nested(projectUserRoles).lists

textmode=true

type=iterate

valueexpression=IF({roleID}='5099307b0034c9a378f9fd7434914b9c',CONCAT("•",{user}.{name}))

valueformat=HTML