Expand my Community achievements bar.

The next phase for Workfront Community ideas is coming soon. Learn all about it in our blog!

How to show who completed a task in a report.

Level 4

Good afternoon,

I was wondering if anyone knew of a way I could pull into a report who marked a task complete. I am looking to use this to show if the task owner is checking this off or if it is the PM to help push for better adoption. I didnt see anything that looked quite right in the API. I tried using last update name but that was not accurate.

Thank you,

Kristina

Topics

Topics help categorize Community content and increase your ability to discover relevant content.

4 Replies

Level 10

Hi Kristina - I have a report we use for our IT and Payroll teams when they need an easy to export audit trail for completing tasks.

It is a Note Report.

Columns:

• Task Number
  • Task Name
  • User (Owner >> Name)
  • Entry Date

Filters:

• Note >> Audit Text contains Complete
  • Note >> Task ID is not Blank

I then put the report in a dashboard and attached it to the layout template (inside a project).

0690z0000094SzKAAU.png

Hope that helps.

Level 10

Hi Kristina,

Building on Anthony's fit-for-purpose NOTE report...

You could also generalize it by adding the Note Text and Audit Text columns to the view (which store "Human Entries" vs "System Entries", respectively), remove the filter, and instead add Prompts on the Note Text, Audit Text, note Owner Name, and Entry Date. By doing so, anyone can then click on the "All Notes" (if that's what you then call it) custom tab (in classic; custom section in NWE), then enter whatever's on their mind using the Prompts (e.g. Task Name Contains XXX, Note Text Contains COMPLETE, Entry Date Greater Than This Month) and run the report to retrieve only exactly what matches

Finally, at the other end of the spectrum, if you want to be really precise about who performed a certain action (such as closing a Task...which in theory could get re-opened and then re-closed), you could also set up a Targeted Auditing calculated parameter for that purpose on each Task of interest.

Regards,

Doug

Level 4

Thank you both!

Doug, I am interested in the Targeted Auditing option so that I can include it as part of an existing report. After looking at the thread you provided that is advanced text mode and above my current level of expertise :) Do you have any guides that you think might be helpful for me to pull a targeted auditing for who completed a task?

I tried to pull in some of the custom code in that thread as well and WF was giving me an error so I am not really sure where to start adjusting to get what I need.

Thank you!

Kristina

Certainly Kristina,

I've added a thread to my original Targeted Auditing Post that you can use to to quickly focus on changes to the Task Status over time -- including "Who Dunnit" -- and include on your existing report.

Regards,

Doug