Expand my Community achievements bar.

The next phase for Workfront Community ideas is coming soon. Learn all about it in our blog!

How can I create a report that lists tasks with its details and all its notes

Level 3
How can I create a report that lists tasks with its details and all its notes
Topics

Topics help categorize Community content and increase your ability to discover relevant content.

13 Replies

Level 10
Create a "Note" report, group it by Task ID, and order by date. (make sure you add a column for task name and task description (and whatever other details you need))

Level 3
Thanks Skye for responding, My challenge in "Note" report is that if there is a Task with no notes than it will not show up in my report

Level 10
Another idea... You could do a task report with Task Name, Task Description, and then have a third column display an Updates collection. Something like displayname=Notes listdelimiter= listmethod=nested(updates).lists textmode=true type=iterate valuefield=message valueformat=HTML However, to only show notes and not all updates, you'd need an IF statement where Update Type=Notes. Not quite sure how to do that though. Since we got this far, maybe the help desk can help you with the IF statement. ;)

Level 2
Can you do this with issues as well? If so, what needs to be changed? I have not been able to make it work with issues.

Level 10
Hi Anthony, I have followed your suggestion, and it includes all updates. However, I only really want to show Notes posted by the user - not including status updates etc. I figure that there must be a way to filter it by update type. I have guessed and tried the following but this is not returning any results. Hoping you or someone else can advise what to do! displayname=Notes listdelimiter= listmethod=nested(updates).lists textmode=true type=iterate valueexpression=IF({updateType}="note",{message},"") valueformat=HTML

Level 10
Maybe leave the updates column text mode as what Anthony has posted and then just put in filter All Notes >> is message?

Level 10
It is very weird. I've been playing around and I can't get any type of valueexpression to work. Even just concatenating {message} and a dash. Hmmm... wonder why that is.

Level 10
Hi David. From some of my API work, I wonder (untested) if instead of updateType = "note" you need to use "NO", which is the underlying code..? Regards, Doug

Level 10
Hi Anthony. I'm stymied too, so (David) could still not test my "NO" theory for you. For you puzzle solvers, here are a number of ways (below) to NOT invent a lightbulb, in case anyone has brigher ideas. Regards, Doug WORKED (Anthony's original) displayname=Notes listdelimiter= listmethod=nested(updates).lists textmode=true type=iterate valuefield=message valueformat=HTML BLANK displayname=Notes listdelimiter= listmethod=nested(updates).lists textmode=true type=iterate valueexpression=message valueformat=HTML BLANK displayname=Notes listdelimiter= listmethod=nested(updates).lists textmode=true type=iterate valueexpression={message} valueformat=HTML BLANK displayname=Notes listdelimiter= listmethod=nested(updates).lists textmode=true type=iterate valueexpression=CONCAT({message},'') valueformat=HTML BLANK displayname=Notes listdelimiter= listmethod=nested(updates).lists textmode=true type=iterate valueexpression=CONCAT({ M essage},'') valueformat=HTML BLANK displayname=Notes listdelimiter= listmethod=nested(updates).lists textmode=true type=iterate valueexpression=CONCAT( Message ,'') valueformat=HTML BLANK displayname=Notes listdelimiter= listmethod=nested(updates).lists textmode=true type=iterate valueexpression= Message valueformat=HTML BLANK displayname=Notes listdelimiter= listmethod=nested( notes ).lists textmode=true type=iterate valuefield=noteText valueformat=HTML BLANK displayname=Notes listdelimiter= listmethod=nested(notes).lists textmode=true type=iterate valuefield= subject valueformat=HTML

Level 10
Thanks everyone for your suggestions. Polly - that filter removed tasks where the only updates were status/general updates, however I still saw the updates inside the fields where there were multiple nested updates. Doug - like the various combinations you tried, I also tried your suggestion with NO and it also came out blank.] May end up logging this with support and see if they have any ideas. Cheers

Level 3
I had the same problem and I opened a support ticket. Apparently, we cannot use filters or expressions for dynamic fields. Here is a response from the support team This is advanced advanced reporting but if you install the add-on json in Chrome and then add attask/api-internal/metadata to the end of the workfront url you are given a list of the fields available in workfront. You can then navigate to task, since we are using a task report, then updates and it will tell you if it is dynamic or not. Here is a video of this: https://ilos.video/d0WeuZ .

Level 10
Thank you, Sunil: that explains why we cannot filter on Updates in text mode. I appreciate now knowing the root cause, and having a tool I can use to definitively investigate such situations going forward. Regards, Doug