Expand my Community achievements bar.

The Community Advisors application is now OPEN for the second class of 2024. Apply to become a part of this exclusive program!

Granting users with a "Reviewer" license type the access to change task statuses?

Level 2

I would like to grant users in our Workfront instance that have a "Reviewer" license type the access to change task statuses (for use primarily in approvals).

It appears that in order to do so, the "Reviewer" license type needs to be upgraded to "Planner" or "Worker" as changing the task status is considered to be "editing" an item. Upgrading our license types is not an option.

We do not currently use the "Approvals" feature in Workfront. Is that our only option, or has anyone else found a workaround that would align to how we operate?

Any suggestions / observations are welcomed.

Thanks in advance!

Topics

Topics help categorize Community content and increase your ability to discover relevant content.

3 Replies

Level 9

I don't believe this is exactly what you're looking for however - perhaps creating a task report that is shared system wide and sits on a dashboard could be used. Filter the tasks by $$USER.ID and create a task level field on a task custom form that is a inline editable date field. The reviewer can then select the date they completed it.

Caveats:

• Unsure if reviewer licenses can 'edit' or 'contribute' to reports in t his manner.
  • Another user with appropriate access levels will have to mark any tasks with that date field populated on behalf of the reviewer. (technically not difficult - can do a mass update and change status to complete)

Community Advisor

Hi Scott,

Not sure if I have under stood your question correctly, but here's my immediate thoughts . . .

As you have rightly stated, users with 'collaborator' license type (reviewers and requesters) cannot change task statuses or edit tasks in general, as a result reviewers cannot initiate or create an approval process. They can however be assigned as an approver. A user with a work or plan license can initiate an approval process and assign a reviewer as an approver and dependant on how you configure the approval process, the task status will automatically update (with some limitations) based on the approval decision given by the reviewer (i.e. if rejected, change status back to 'In Progress' / if approved status will change from 'Complete: Pending Approval' to 'Complete').

Another thing that reviewers can do is request document approvals. I'm not sure what / how you are using approvals in your system, but if a document approval could be appropriate instead of a task approval, you could bypass the need to be changing statuses to initiate approval processes by using document approvals instead.

Best Regards,

Rich.

Level 10

Hi Scott,

In addition to Christina's and Richard's excellent suggestions, I invite you to consider our UberCalc solution, which would allow Reviewers to go to a custom tab (e.g. "Finalize") on such a Task and press a button (e.g. "Mark Complete"), which -- by using an API connection with appropriate permissions under the hood -- would then mark the Task as Complete, including auditing that it was done so "on behalf of" the Reviewer, for transparency.

If you'd like more details, you're welcome to email me at doug.denhoed@atappstore.com

Regards,

Doug