Expand my Community achievements bar.

SOLVED

Difference between planned and actual hours

Level 3

Hello. I am looking for pointers on the best method to do this. I've never actually been asked by users for this and I know there have been some changes in what possible.

If I have a team that wants to see the diffference between the planned and actual hours in a column, my first assumption is that this would be done using a calculated field. Does this field need to be applied to a custom form for each task? Or is there a method to create a column in a view and do some text mode magic.  

I did a search and I know there's alot out there about this but some of it goes waaay back. I'd like to hear from you what's best with current options.

thank you

1 Accepted Solution

Correct answer by
Community Advisor

Hi there,

You do not need to create a calculated field for this, so all good there. All you need is a value expression in a column of your report or view. Go to your view or report columns and have your actual and planned hrs columns. Then add the column then go to the text mode and put:
displayname=Difference in Hours (or whatever you want to call it)
textmode=true
valueexpression=CONCAT(DIV(SUB({actualWorkRequired},{workRequired})/60)," Hours")
valueformat=HTML

If this helped you, please mark correct to help others : )

View solution in original post

4 Replies

Level 3

And is there a way to similarly track this via the planned start/completion date and Actual Start/Completion.  I'm not sure that the team has there member actually logging hours so I am wondering if the start/completion dates could work if needed.

Community Advisor

If no logged hrs to go by, you could add this text mode to a report filter to pull tasks completed later than planned completion date in a Task Report Filter:
actualCompletionDate=FIELD:plannedCompletionDate
actualCompletionDate_Mod=gt

Note the results though, because depending the actual TIME a task was due, you may have some due that were delivered same DATE but it may pull in if it was past the specific time of the date.

Correct answer by
Community Advisor

Hi there,

You do not need to create a calculated field for this, so all good there. All you need is a value expression in a column of your report or view. Go to your view or report columns and have your actual and planned hrs columns. Then add the column then go to the text mode and put:
displayname=Difference in Hours (or whatever you want to call it)
textmode=true
valueexpression=CONCAT(DIV(SUB({actualWorkRequired},{workRequired})/60)," Hours")
valueformat=HTML

Level 3

Thanks Madalyn, This look exactly like what I was looking for!