Expand my Community achievements bar.

SOLVED

Can a planner assign a portfolio, program and a company to a project?

Level 2

I had one of my planners question why he did not have access to assign a portfolio, program or company to a project. He says he used to be able to and now he can't. As an admin, I was able to assign them when editing the project. I logged in as the planner and the options to assign a portfolio, program and company did not appear. He only had the option to assign a group.

Did this just change recently or was this always this way?

Thanks in advance for any help. I appreciate it!

0694X00000DVmZlQAL.png

John Weiss

Workfront Administrator

Topics

Topics help categorize Community content and increase your ability to discover relevant content.

1 Accepted Solution

Correct answer by
Level 7

Hi John,

I see the overall challenge, it's just a rather odd one. If he couldn't see Portfolio/Programs, then I'd look at it as a security issue with those portfolios/programs themselves, but you're also showing that he can't see Company either. There just aren't that many settings that can DO that as far as I know.

Under the Access Levels in setup - is the box for 'View only companies, groups & teams they belong to' checked for whatever Access Level his account is assigned?

The second culprit is possibly the Layout Template he's assigned. It's possible that in his Layout Template, those fields are turned off so they aren't visible. That's what my test #2 would show you - if he can edit the field in a report, but not see it on the Project screen, then you probably have a Layout problem.

Katherine

View solution in original post

6 Replies

Level 7

Hi John,

Yes, they should absolutely be able to assign those fields. I'm routinely chasing mine for forgetting them. :)

There are a handful of places that something could be changed to result in what you're seeing though, here's a few places to check:

1. Access levels - is this user the ONLY Planner unable to do that? Or can none of them? Can he see/edit those fields on other projects?
  2. Reporting - If you look at a report that has those fields while logged in as the user, can he edit them from that report? If he can, that suggests an issue with the Layout for that screen, rather than a security issue.
  3. Looking at the access in general - can that user SEE portfolios/programs/companies overall?
  4. Project Access - what does that specific user have for access when you go to Project Access settings? I liken the Access level to something like a drivers license. You may have the right to drive a car overall, but that doesn't mean you don't have to ask permission to drive /mine/.

Katherine

Level 2

Hi Katherine,

Thank you so much for your reply. I'm looking simply at the project access. I have a planner who created a new project and only has the option to set project association for a group. Some other planners only have access to assign a group. Other planners can assign a portfolio and a program.

I look everywhere for a setting to change and could find anything. I just want my planner to be able to set project association for a portfolio and program as shown in the attached screen capture.

Thanks!

John Weiss

WF Admin

0694X00000DVoqjQAD.png

Correct answer by
Level 7

Hi John,

I see the overall challenge, it's just a rather odd one. If he couldn't see Portfolio/Programs, then I'd look at it as a security issue with those portfolios/programs themselves, but you're also showing that he can't see Company either. There just aren't that many settings that can DO that as far as I know.

Under the Access Levels in setup - is the box for 'View only companies, groups & teams they belong to' checked for whatever Access Level his account is assigned?

The second culprit is possibly the Layout Template he's assigned. It's possible that in his Layout Template, those fields are turned off so they aren't visible. That's what my test #2 would show you - if he can edit the field in a report, but not see it on the Project screen, then you probably have a Layout problem.

Katherine

Employee

Hey John,

Katherine is on the right track for sure.

But, your user also has to have Manage Access to the program and portfolio, otherwise they won't have the right security permissions to add them.

As for company, that's a noggin scratcher. I'd check the sharing setting of the project to see what all the user has been set up with.

Then, I'd check the access level to ensure that the user has edit permissions for portfolios and programs, and confirm the box isn't marked to only see the companies they belong to like Katherine mentioned.

Level 2

Hi Katherine,

Thank you so much for your help. I really appreciate it! It was the layout template. The planner had portfolio and program turned off.

John W.

Level 2

Hi Dustin,

Thanks for responding. Your post appeared as I was responding to Katherine. I will check to make sure the user has Manage Access to the program and portfolio as well.

John W.