Expand my Community achievements bar.

Can a manager be notified about and shared a Task assigned to a direct report automatically?

Level 6

We have one team where the manager is asking to be notified whenever a new task is assigned to someone who reports to him. The manager does not get assigned work, but wants the notification and visibility.

The Project Owners are reluctant to change their templates for those Template Tasks to automatically share with the manager, nor do they want to change their process to share/notify on an individual basis. The manager does not want his name in the assignments field.

I can't find any notifications that look up the manager of an assignee under the user profile and send a notification.

Before I build anything in Fusion, is there an out of the box way to meet their requirements/constraints?

They aren't the first team to ask for this functionality, though they are the most insistent. And I understand why they want what they want, so any ideas would be welcome. Thanks very much.

Mylah

Topics

Topics help categorize Community content and increase your ability to discover relevant content.

3 Replies

Community Advisor

Hi Mylah,

I don't believe that there is any native functionality within Workfront to notify the manager when a user is assigned to a task. The only manager notifications I am aware of are to notify a users manager when their task is late / past it's due date (located in the automatic reminder settings of the setup area in Workfront).

However one option you could do is to build a report for the manager to show all tasks that are assigned to their direct reports. Using the filter Assigned To > Manager ID in a task report will return all tasks that are assigned to the specified manager's direct reports. Although the manager wouldn't be notified of new task assignments to their team, they could easily check this report or have it automatically sent to them in order to see what work their team has been assigned.

I hope this helps!

Best Regards,

Rich.

Level 8

Hi Mylah,

The viability depends on whether you're already using these features differently, but you could look at the resource owner functionality. There's a few alerts there for task/project/issue assignments affecting the people belonging to that resource owner.

Katherine

Level 6

Thanks all. We'll look into the alerts mentioned by Katherine and auto reminders mentioned by Richard.

Best,

Mylah