Expand my Community achievements bar.

Bulk changing of permissions for contributors

Level 10

Hi all,

We've found some issue today with editing access on project level if it's about permissions for contributors.

We edit it on project level, going into Edit Project and then in Access place. We can un-tick boxes with permissions we do not want contributors to be able to do (Please see attached screenshot 1)

But then we still need to go into Task edit level, into Sharing to un-tick same permissions boxes for contributors in advance settings (please see attached Screenshot 2) like we have done already on Project level.

The question is, is there anyway to bulk edit of permissions for contributors ? Or we have to go thru every single task to do it?

We tried to tick all tasks and go into sharing options, but it didn't give us any options to change permissions.

Thank you in advance for any advice/help.

10 Replies

Level 10
Hi Dagmara, I have not found a way to bulk edit the removal of permissions. Just adding permissions. One thing I did want to point out in case you didn't know. If you want those options unchecked for all projects, you can change the defaults in Setup -> Project Preferences -> Tasks & Issues. Since we don't use Workfront for hours, we have unchecked the Log Hours option for everyone.

Level 7
Dagmara, Just above the spot in your first image where you set the access levels per project, you'll see where you can change the access when people are assigned a Task. It is there that you can check and uncheck boxes the way you want, then when someone is assigned to a task, they will inherit what you have entered there.

Level 10
Hi Greg, I've just edited it on Project Level like you said. But then when I looked at assignments to the Task and access on the Task Level, it still have have all boxes ticked in advance settings. Exactly like on Screenshot 2 I have attached in previous post. Unless it works when you set it up like you want before you assign anyone to the task. As it looks like you can't do ii while project are ready and tasks are assigned to people already. In Reply to Greg Beck:
Dagmara, Just above the spot in your first image where you set the access levels per project, you'll see where you can change the access when people are assigned a Task. It is there that you can check and uncheck boxes the way you want, then when someone is assigned to a task, they will inherit what you have entered there.

Level 7
Yes, those settings apply to any tasks that are created after the settings are set. To change settings for previous tasks, you would need to bulk edit those tasks and set the access levels appropriately.

Level 4
Hi, Were you able to bulk edit those? I have a similar requirement and will have to update it for over 100 folks one check box at a time.

Level 10
Hi Sadashi, Unfortunately I wasn't able to make bulk edit of permissions once project and tasks been created.

Level 7
Why were you not able to bulk edit? Maybe the confusion is in how to bulk edit. When you select many tasks to change the access for a person, you click on the "Share" button. Nothing will be shown so it looks like you can't edit the sharing for the resource, but what you do is you enter that persons name and set the access you want. This changes the access for those task for that person. Does this make sense?

Level 10
Hi Greg, The issue was we wanted bulk edit permissions for possible users which have 'Contribute' Access to project. I mean to un-tick some option in advance settings on in, if it does make a sense? It's not about any relevant person. You can set it up by default, but all projects created before that, you still need to change manually. That's what you say make a sense if you while planning the project and all assignments. In Reply to Greg Beck:
Why were you not able to bulk edit? Maybe the confusion is in how to bulk edit. When you select many tasks to change the access for a person, you click on the "Share" button. Nothing will be shown so it looks like you can't edit the sharing for the resource, but what you do is you enter that persons name and set the access you want. This changes the access for those task for that person. Does this make sense?

Level 7
OK, but my point is that you wouldn't have to go to each task individually and change the Access. You could take ALL tasks assigned to User A and bulk edit those to the access you want. Then take all tasks for User B and bulk edit those, etc. As new people are assigned to tasks, they'll inherit the permissions you've set up on the project.