SOLVED

Calculated Expression displaying incorrect value for Task's Estimate field

Level 1

I have the following text mode for the column in the task report:

valueexpression={estimate}*{percentComplete}
textmode=true
valueformat=HTML
displayname=Calculated

on another column I'm using a valuefield, to show the estimate , which is a double. and it is appearing correctly, however when using the valueexpression approach the field shows as "0.0". This only happens for the estimate field, since I've tried with others and they showed the same information, regardless of valuefield or valueexpression approach.

Let me know if the text mode looks correct, or if anyone know what could be causing this issue

1 Accepted Solution

Correct answer by
Employee Advisor

Thanks for tagging me, @KellieGardner@NicholasSily The field for estimate, is a dynamic field in the API which means it cannot be manipulated in valueexpressions. I've asked the Technical Writing team to update our documentation and make that more clear, and if possible, list out any fields that are dynamic to avoid any confusion.

Screenshot 2024-06-18 at 4.10.40 PM.png

View solution in original post

8 Replies

Community Advisor

Text mode looks fine. You've confirmed that both your estimate and percent complete fields are showing something other than a zero?

Level 1

Hey Kellie, yes indeed it's not supposed to be 0.

When I use the valufield the estimate displays the correct value as a double, however when using the field within a valueexpression, no matter what the expression is, it shows 0.

Community Advisor

We don't use the estimate field in my instance so I can't really test anything on my end as the values are all 0. But if the fields you are calculating both show something other than zero then when multiplying I would venture to assume it should return a value. 

Example: Your estimate field is a value of 1 and your percent complete is a value of 10 and when you run the calculation it should return a value of 10. 

If it's returning a zero when it should return a value (like in my example) then it might have something to do with the estimate field available through the API. I don't see any real documentation around it. 

Community Advisor

I just re-read your question and now I'm second guessing what you are asking and my interpretation of the response.

Are you trying to get it to display 0.0 instead of 0?

Level 1

yeah, I think you had the right interpretation, here is a screenshot to further clarify.

Essentially, I'm trying to get the value for multiplying the story points (Estimate) by the percent complete of the task. To get a measure of completed story points in the sprint.

NicholasSily_0-1718652076590.png

As you can see it's just showing zero.

Community Advisor

Hi Nicholas - I did some digging last night see what I could come up with. It appears to be something with the estimate field itself. I found this: The estimate field is a derived field and not an actual field in the system. 

I wasn't able to get the field to work in any kind of calculation and even tried a calculated custom field. Tagging in @NicholeVargas to see if she knows why the field can't be referenced in a calculation.

Correct answer by
Employee Advisor

Thanks for tagging me, @KellieGardner@NicholasSily The field for estimate, is a dynamic field in the API which means it cannot be manipulated in valueexpressions. I've asked the Technical Writing team to update our documentation and make that more clear, and if possible, list out any fields that are dynamic to avoid any confusion.

Screenshot 2024-06-18 at 4.10.40 PM.png

Level 1

Thank you @NicholeVargas and @KellieGardner for your help, and for clarifying the issue.

As a means to achieve the result I used the Planned Work field (workRequired), which is the one that is linked with the estimate field. This one can be used in custom expressions, here was the workaround:

displayname=Points Completed
textmode=true
valueexpression=(({workRequired}/60)/8)*{percentComplete}/100
valueformat=HTML

workRequired is given in minutes.

8 hours of work equates to 1 story point (This is the system default)