Expand my Community achievements bar.

SOLVED

Blocking tasks from assignment on Holidays?

Level 3

Hello,

I've read through the Schedule information and I don't seem to see a direct mention regarding blocking tasks from being assigned on a holiday date.

Details:

• We have two Schedules set up, one for each our company locations (they're in different timezones). These schedules have the national holidays and company holidays set as exceptions.
  • The schedule for our main location is set as the Default Schedule in Workfront.
  • Every employee is assigned to one of the schedules in the user Profile. 
  • Most PM's set up their projects with their respective location Schedule as the Project schedule.
  • We have set Project Preferences to Consider user time off in task durations for all projects.

Our PM's are still able to assign tasks to users on dates that are set as Holiday dates in the user's schedule and/or the project schedule. Is there a way to block this? 

If not, is Workfront automatically calculating the timeline in a way that assumes no actual work will be done on that day, i.e., if the duration is set for one week (7 days) and there is 1 holiday day during that period, does it add another day to compensate for the holiday?

Thanks!

Topics

Topics help categorize Community content and increase your ability to discover relevant content.

1 Accepted Solution

Correct answer by
Community Advisor

Hi Laura!

There are a couple more places for you to check to ensure that Workfront is calculating timelines as expected.

Within Setup there is an option to select how the task should respond when multiple people are assigned to it.

Screenshot 2023-08-28 at 4.01.01 PM.png

And then within the individual Project Setting (also can be set at the template level) you can say if individual schedules should be taken in account as well as the schedule for this project.

Screenshot 2023-08-28 at 3.58.15 PM.png

Check these settings on your project to make sure nothing is contradicting each other. And then play around with the assignments. Workfront should in fact not count any holidays when planning a project timeline. If you notice that the dates are accurate before you make assignments, then I would look at the individual's schedule as well as the User Time Off setting within the project settings.

Also, make sure that you don't have any fixed date constraints on your tasks as that will override the holiday and time off scheduling features. For example, if you have a project that must finish on September 4th that will be the due date regardless of it being Labor Day.

If you still run into trouble, please share screenshots of the schedule as well as the projects and we can help troubleshoot this further. For me personally, it was the multiple people assigned to a single task that was throwing off the scheduling.

View solution in original post

1 Reply

Correct answer by
Community Advisor

Hi Laura!

There are a couple more places for you to check to ensure that Workfront is calculating timelines as expected.

Within Setup there is an option to select how the task should respond when multiple people are assigned to it.

Screenshot 2023-08-28 at 4.01.01 PM.png

And then within the individual Project Setting (also can be set at the template level) you can say if individual schedules should be taken in account as well as the schedule for this project.

Screenshot 2023-08-28 at 3.58.15 PM.png

Check these settings on your project to make sure nothing is contradicting each other. And then play around with the assignments. Workfront should in fact not count any holidays when planning a project timeline. If you notice that the dates are accurate before you make assignments, then I would look at the individual's schedule as well as the User Time Off setting within the project settings.

Also, make sure that you don't have any fixed date constraints on your tasks as that will override the holiday and time off scheduling features. For example, if you have a project that must finish on September 4th that will be the due date regardless of it being Labor Day.

If you still run into trouble, please share screenshots of the schedule as well as the projects and we can help troubleshoot this further. For me personally, it was the multiple people assigned to a single task that was throwing off the scheduling.