Expand my Community achievements bar.

Add Hyperlink to Report

Employee
Hi All, Does anyone know if it is possible to have a custom field show up as a hyperlink on a report? I am not sure if I should try with in the field or in the custom view. Thanks!
14 Replies

Level 10
Interestingly enough, I had a custom text attribute. I stuck in a URL ( http://edition.cnn.com). WorkFront recognized it as a hyperlink, made it blue, underlined it, and it worked as a hyperlink. When I am looking at the custom attributes on a project, it is there as a hyperlink and works as a hyperlink. I did a report and added that text attribute to the report. It comes up there as text, not as the hyperlink WorkFront knew it to be. In looking at the characteristics of the custom attributes, I can’t find anything that tells WorkFront explicitly that it is a hyperlink. Sorry, my answer to your question is: 1) Yes, you can enter a hyperlink into a text attribute and WorkFront recognizes it as a hyperlink on that screen, and; 2) an unfortunate No, I don’t know how to get a custom attribute come up as a hyperlink in a report. Thanks, Eric

Employee
I played around with another code I found and finally got it to work - my custom form is Treasurer Website Ref: description=Treasurer Website Ref link.isnewwindow=true link.url=customDataLabelsAsString(Treasurer Website Ref) linkedname=direct listsort=customDataLabelsAsString(Treasurer Website Ref) name=Treasurer Website querysort=URL shortview=false stretch=0 textmode=true valuefield=Treasurer Website Ref valueformat=customDataLabelsAsString width=150

Level 10
Sarah - Which line tells WorkFront to show a line in a report as a URL. Surely it isn’t the querysort line… Thanks! Eric

Level 2
Could it be the browser that recognizes a url? Beth Massura Assistant Director of Operations, Marketing The University of Chicago Booth School of Business 5807 South Woodlawn Avenue Chicago, Illinois 60637 Phone: 773.702.7598

Level 10
{{Beth}} Interesting thought. I hadn’t considered that. I normally work with WorkFront exclusively in Chrome. I used (gasp) Internet Explorer to open WorkFront and pull up a report. I looked at that report that had a URL in a text field. It did not come up as a hyperlink in IE, either. ☹ Great thought, though. I thought it would be a hyperlink in IE until I tried it and found it wasn’t. Eric

Level 7
I believe the line that is the key is link.url=

Level 4
I believe you are correct in that it is that line. We did something similar where we had a project team site built in SharePoint, and wanted to have that link for the project team site show up in a dashboard. The link is put in a custom field in the custom data of the project. Then we put the full http:// URL into that custom field. In the report, we didn't want the full URL to show up in the report becuase it was long and ugly, so we used the advanced conditioning to put "Team Site" in as the text but when you clicked on it, went to the URL. Here ie example code that we're using to do this. The custom field is called "inside SharePoint Site" and all of the urls have "inside.loyola.edu" in there which is how it finds the link and replaces it with the Team Site text. case.0.comparison.icon=false case.0.comparison.leftmethod=DE:Inside SharePoint Site case.0.comparison.lefttext=DE:Inside SharePoint Site case.0.comparison.operator=cicontains case.0.comparison.operatortype=string case.0.comparison.righttext=inside.loyola.edu case.0.comparison.truetext=Team Site displayname=Team Site link.isnewwindow=true link.url=customDataLabelsAsString(Inside SharePoint Site) linkedname=direct namekey=Inside SharePoint Site querysort=DE:Inside SharePoint Site stretch=50 styledef.case.0.comparison.icon=false styledef.case.0.comparison.leftmethod=DE:Inside SharePoint Site styledef.case.0.comparison.lefttext=DE:Inside SharePoint Site styledef.case.0.comparison.operator=cicontains styledef.case.0.comparison.operatortype=string styledef.case.0.comparison.righttext=inside.loyola.edu styledef.case.0.comparison.truetext=Team Site textmode=true valuefield=Inside SharePoint Site valueformat=customDataLabelsAsString width=150 You can also create an image for the link if you wanted instead of using the Team Site text. This way you could put in a custom image to look like a button or something to show up on the report. The code for that, using a default in system image is: image.case.0.comparison.icon=true image.case.0.comparison.leftmethod=DE:Inside SharePoint Site image.case.0.comparison.lefttext=DE:Inside SharePoint Site image.case.0.comparison.operator=cicontains image.case.0.comparison.operatortype=string image.case.0.comparison.righttext=teams image.case.0.comparison.truetext=/static/img/r15/icons/casebuilder/light_black.gif link.isnewwindow=true link.url=customDataLabelsAsString(Inside SharePoint Site) linkedname=direct namekey=Inside SharePoint Site querysort=DE:Inside SharePoint Site stretch=10 textmode=true valuefield=Inside SharePoint Site valueformat=customDataLabelsAsString width=50 YOu would simply change the line " image.case.0.comparison.truetext=/static/img/r15/icons/casebuilder/light_black.gif" to be the URL of the custom image that you want to show. YOu can create the image, upload it to Workfront, get the URL of that image and then replace the existing with that. Hope this all made sense but if you have questions or need additional clarification, let me know. Thanks! Scott

Level 1
Hi All, I also ran into the same issue, but the "link.url=" fix wasn't working for me (maybe because I was trying to make email addresses clickable,) but I did find a fix for email address hyperlinks incase it is helpful to anyone. Here is the text mode code I used for the email addresses (delivery method:) displayname=Delivery linkedname=parent namekey=view.relatedcolumn namekeyargkey.0=parent namekeyargkey.1=Delivery Method querysort=URL textmode=true valuefield=DE:parent:Delivery Method valueformat=HTML The lines that made the difference were: querysort=URL valueformat=HTML valuefield= DE: parent: Delivery Method Hope this helps! Emily

Level 2
Thanks for the suggestions and for sharing the codes. The following works for me better. In blue is the field's name in my project custom form so you just need to replace it and it should work; and change the green text to label your column as you wish. displayname= Folder link.isnewwindow=true link.url=customDataLabelsAsString( Edu file folder path ) linkedname=direct querysort=DE:project: Edu file folder path textmode=true valuefield=DE:project: Edu file folder path valueformat=HTML Thanks, Yannick WebMD Global

Level 10
Yannick, I copied this exactly, and did the replacements, however, it does not work for me. I get nothing returned in my column. Thanks for clarification. displayname=Test Column link.isnewwindow=true link.url=customDataLabelsAsString(Company Code) linkedname=direct querysort=DE:project:Company Code textmode=true valuefield=DE:project:Company Code valueformat=HTML

Level 2
Hi Benetta, Do you try to add the column in a task report or a project report ? Thanks, Yannick Yannick WebMD Global

Level 10
A project report, which has 3 custom forms attached / associated with it.

Level 2
The one I posted previously works for a task report, this one should work for a project report: displayname= Insert the label of your column here valueformat=customDataLabelsAsString querysort=DE: Insert the name of your custom field here textmode=true linkedname=direct link.url=customDataLabelsAsString( Insert the name of your custom field here ) valuefield= Insert the name of your custom field here namekey= Insert the name of your custom field here Yannick WebMD Global

Level 10
I have attached the picture of my report showing all the columns of testing i'm doing. The column titles map to the word document which shows the text that i'm using for that column. My ultimate goal, is to have 1 link in a column that brings up 1 custom form. Right now, I have 3 + custom forms associated with a project. We have to scroll to the form that we need to see at a given time, as they are sequential and very very long, thus my ultimate goal to only bring up 1 custom form at a time. Thanks for your help in this matter.