Expand my Community achievements bar.

The next phase for Workfront Community ideas is coming soon. Learn all about it in our blog!

I am having difficulty understanding the logic and calculations for Actual Duration in Workfront

Level 1
I have been told that Workfront , actual duration is based on actual start date and actual completion date. Actuals are based on when hours are logged, when tasks are marked complete etc. by default. Both actual start date and actual completion date can be edited if someone doesn't log the action at the precise moment it occurs in real life. this does not make any sense to me as every other scheduling tool used describes and calculates Actual Duration as: Description The Actual Duration field shows the span of actual working time for a task so far, based on the scheduled duration and current remaining work or percent complete. How Calculated If you type a value in the % Complete field, Project calculates actual duration as follows: Actual Duration = Duration * Percent Complete If you type a value in the Actual Duration field, Project calculates the Remaining Duration as follows: Remaining Duration = Duration - Actual Duration I have 2 examples of how Workfront is calculating Actual Duration differently but neither makes sense. Example 1: 7 month planned duration and 400 hours planned hours Actually Commenced on 27/7/16 Actually Completed on 22/6/17 Is 100% complete Has 391.5 actual hours Has 0 actual duration. Example 2: 50 days planned duration with 310 planned hours Tasks actual start date is 5/11/6 Task is 15% complete Project finish date 28/8/7 Actual hours 519.5 hours to date. Actual Duration is 0 days
1 Reply

Level 10
Me too! I had another post asking anyone for background. I did a bunch of exports to Excel and tried to figure it out. No response. ‚òπ