Expand my Community achievements bar.

The next phase for Workfront Community ideas is coming soon. Learn all about it in our blog!

How can I add a wait step of 1 week into a scenario?

Level 3

I have a scenario initially triggered by a webhook,followed by a few different modules and ulitmately an email is sent with various information from the initial webhook. I then want to wait 1 week from this first email being sent and then send a second, follow up/reminder email but I cannot see any way to do this.

Any help is much appreciated.

Thanks

5 Replies

Level 6

A scenario times out at 45 minutes, but I wonder if you could accomplish this by using a couple custom fields and a couple scenarios. 

essentially the first scenario would run, do stuff, then write info into a custom field info that is needed for followup email and in another field the reference needed on when to send the email. The second scenario would run daily to review the field to determine if the email should be sent “today”. 

Level 3

Thanks Jason. Ideally I am trying to do this all within the same scenario. I'm not too sure why but at our company we have a limited number of scenarios we are able to set up and use so I don't really want to create a separate scenario for simply sending a reminder email.

Everything I have found online says use 2 scenarios and a data store as you are suggesting but I was hoping someone else may have found a solution.

Thanks

Level 6

I understand scenario limits.  The only thing that comes to mind is if there is a way to trigger from a schedule instead of the webhook - then you could use a couple branches from the same scenario.  Based on your original description I'm guessing it's being triggered by a different system - so maybe someone else has a creative solution for merging scenarios.

Community Advisor

I have done this before. I utilized a periodic running scenario. The scenario has an "A" route and a "B" route, where the "A" route is the initial message, and the "B" route is the follow up. How it works is after the first run, it also set's a date in a custom field on the object that is X number of days (in your case 7) from the day of the initial email, as well as a boolean field so that it doesn't reprocess down the "A" route. Then on the "B" route, check that the date in the custom field set above is before "now", and if it is, then send the reminder.

Level 10

you could always consecutively run 2,016 Wait modules at 300 seconds each! 

I like Jason's solution. or maybe you could run the same scenario in two paths? The first one would send the initial email and then mark a custom field with a date. The initial search terms would send it to the initial email path if that field were empty, and the second path (follow up email) if that field were not empty and the current date is 7 days past the date in the custom field.

Screenshot 2023-03-09 at 6.38.37 pm.jpg