Expand my Community achievements bar.

Webinar | System Admin Essentials: Tips for Taking Over an Existing Workfront Instance (Feb 15, 2023)

Employee

At some point you may find yourself taking over an instance of Workfront you didn’t initially set up. Would you know where to start? How would you uncover why things were implemented the way they were? Where would you find documentation and answers?

On February 15, 2023, Brandon Hamm, Head of Marketing Process and Platforms at Walgreens, Ryan Kirk, System Admin at RLI Insurance Company, and Jace Newbold, Workfront Consulting Manager (and former customer), will each share their experience in taking over a Workfront instance they didn’t have a hand in implementing.

Together they’ll cover:

• Their experience in taking over an inherited instance
  • What they wish they had known 
  • What every Admin should do today to set their future selves (and future Admins) up for success
  • A new downloadable checklist with questions and resources to guide you in auditing and documenting your instance
  • And more.

----------

UPDATE: This session is now available on-demand. You can access the recording here and a copy of the slides is attached. Here is also a link to the Inherited Instance Checklist we shared in the session. Thanks for all who joined us!

WF_ON24_LandingPage_AdminEssentials_Gray_2023.png

7 Replies

Employee

Nudge! This session is today! Even if you aren't actively taking over an instance, this will still be a FANTASTIC session with 3 Workfront Admins sharing their experience. We'll also be walking through the new Inherited Instance Checklist, which is a great asset for documenting and aligning stakeholders on the goals of your instance. Hope to see you! 

Community Advisor

I've been reviewing the checklist and one of the links isn't working in the document under workflows. 

Webinar: Process & Workflow Design

I can't seem to find it in experience league - anyone have the URL?

Community Advisor

I actually got it to work it had a double http in it:

http://https/event.on24.com/wcc/r/3928692/84AD70EBEE0E03E8

But now, I'm wondering if it's the correct link. Is this the right webinar for Process and Workflow design? Title: System Admin Essentials: Getting Started with Resource Management

Employee

Great catch, @KellieGardner! I will ask that link to be fixed/updated. Here is the correct link: 

[Webinar] System Admin Essentials: Workflow & Process Design

https://webinars.on24.com/adobe_workfront/AdminEssentialsProcess?partnerref=exl

Employee

A question we got in the Q/A during this webinar was:

"What is your process for training? Do you do videos? Office Hours? How did you set up the structure?"

Training is such an important part of successful adoption. Training can be broken down into three main types, all of which are important for a new user in Workfront.

1. General Workfront training: This is where the user would a foundational understanding of Workfront and how to use it. There are great training paths on Experience League based on a user's persona (i.e., collaborator, worker, planner, executive, etc.). 
  2. Process Specific training: The user now needs to be trained on the specific processes they will be part of in Workfront. This training is best done by a peer in the system (someone who is also part of that same process). 
  3. Ad-hoc/Ongoing training: In order for this user to adopt well, they need to have constant, quick support, as they start using the system and questions arise. It is recommended that a peer or power-user be assigned as a mentor or support person for the new user.

When I was a system admin I leveraged the online trainings provided by Workfront (Experience League), and I also partnered with stake-holders to build training videos and documentation that were process specific. We also held open office hours (myself and the power-users) for new teams that were just onboarding, but for one-off new users, I found that assigning a mentor (as stated in item #3 above), was most impactful.

Level 7

My job is supposed to primarily be training, so I'm a believer in the training angle. However, even I underestimated how much training my users needed—both the new ones and existing ones. I still have work to do, but here's my general policy around training:

• New users with Plan or Work access are required to go through at least 6 hours of hands on training. Then I conduct one-on-one or small group follow-up, which I can sometimes consolidate with the office hours I hold.
  • New users with Review access who have a job that involves working relatively closely with planners or workers I send online training through Experience League. To be honest, I should be doing hands on training with these folks, too, but capacity is a challenge.
  • User communications is an essential addendum to my training plan. I maintain a SharePoint site that includes links to Experience League online training, post a brief tip weekly with an eye to different user types, and promote training opportunities. Additionally I host a MS Team for casual chatter.
  • Whenever a medium or large size process change or reorg happens, I assess for training needs for existing users.

Over time I've been able to develop a library of sessions and communications to make training deployment easier.