Expand my Community achievements bar.

From EOY Reporting Workshop - Continued discussion on Actual vs Planned with keeping tasks late vs updating late tasks

Level 2

Creating this for us to talk about the discussion that started in the EOY Reporting Workshop about the idea of updating tasks to be not late and how that applies to reports

@Justin_Charles and I can't find Madalyn yet

22 Replies

Community Advisor

Hi @andreadmw & @Justin_Charles here I am : ) 
I will share the report info for what I was chatting about today (project Current to Complete) here by EOD, may be tomorrow morning (lots of meetings today!). Would like to learn more about what you're doing too, Justin.

If this helped you, please mark correct to help others : )

Level 2

REALLY appreciate it. I'd love to play around with with you and Justin were talking about and see how I can utilize this

Level 4

hi there!  happy to help - let me know if you have any questions i can answer.  i can also get on a quick call to share my screen to show you how we have things set up if you'd like.

Employee Advisor

Thank you Andrea for allow everyone to continue the conversation! I wanted to share the text mode that came up after the workshop was over around calculating the number of days between Proof Creation and Proof Decision date (on a Proof Approval report).

displayname=# of Days Between Creation and Decision 
textmode=true 
valueexpression=WEEKDAYDIFF({proofCreationDate},{decisionDate}) 
valueformat=HTML 

Community Advisor

Sweet I'm going to try this out, this will help me have real proof - see what I did there? ; ) - about ppl taking too long to review proofs!

Community Advisor

Hi @NicholeVargas does this only work on proofs moving forward after we've added this in a report? I added it as a column in an existing proof approval report I have of pending proofs and nothing presents, assuming maybe it's just something that can't be tracked on existing pending proofs?

Employee Advisor

If a Proof is Pending Approval then the Decision Date field would be blank. Since this calculation looks at the number of days between Proof Creation and Proof Decision, it won't have a value if one of those are not yet filled in. So, this will only work for proofs where a decision has been made. Hope that helps to clarify things! 

Community Advisor

Oh my gosh, duh. Can you tell I have end-of-week brain fry? Of course no date will show if they're still pending.

Community Advisor

@NicholeVargas How can I get this info to show in a grouping by quarter? I have the column working to show # of days from proof creation to decision, and have it grouped by decision date (by quarter), but I'm trying to see QoQ on avg how many days it's taking for the proofs from creation to decision. You know what I mean?

Employee Advisor

Are you just wanting to average the column so that value appears in the grouping line? If that's the case, you'll want to add the aggregator lines to your text mode. So the column for # of Days Between Proof Creation and Proof Decision would be:

aggregator.displayformat=int
aggregator.function=AVG
aggregator.valueexpression=ROUND(WEEKDAYDIFF({proofCreationDate},{decisionDate}),2)
aggregator.valueformat=intAsInt
textmode=true
valueexpression=ROUND(WEEKDAYDIFF({proofCreationDate},{decisionDate}),2)
valueformat=HTML

Level 2

@NicholeVargas I am trying to get the difference between my column for Proof Deadline and Decision Date.  I am trying to see how late the proofs are.  Could  you tell me what needs to change in your previous text mode.

textmode=true 
valueexpression=WEEKDAYDIFF({proofCreationDate},{decisionDate}) 
valueformat=HTML 

Employee Advisor

@SamanthaWi This should work for you! If not, let me know! 

displayname=# of Days Between Proof Deadline and Decision Date
textmode=true
valueexpression=WEEKDAYDIFF({documentVersion}.{proofDeadlineDate},{decisionDate})
valueformat=HTML

Level 2

This worked great  i was missing the documentVersion piece.  BIG THANKS

Community Advisor

Hi all, sharing a few text mode snippets for things I mentioned on this week's workshop:

Tracking Project Creation/Entry to Completion Status – you’d create a calculated field for this on any necessary project forms:

ROUND(DATEDIFF({actualCompletionDate}, {entryDate}),1)

Tracking Project turning Current to Completion Status – separate field on any necessary project forms. I like this better than above bc for us, when it turns Current is really more day 1 of work starting, but I still like to know for reference entry to completion to see if projects were sitting before turning Current and then rushed timeframe:

IF(ISBLANK({DE:Project Current to Completion}),IF({status}="CPL",ROUND(DATEDIFF({DE:Date Went Current},{actualCompletionDate}),2)))

As you can see, this field requires you to first make a ‘Date went Current’ field in the same custom form, here’s the text mode for that:

IF(ISBLANK({DE:Date Went Current}),IF({status}="CUR",$$NOW),{DE:Date Went Current})

From here, you can pull various project reports to show these timings with charts. For us, we like to know by project type. We have a field for project type on each project. So you can get a report like this to see QoQ or MoM generally how long any project type(s) are taking from time they go Current to when Complete (we don’t use from time of creation or Actual Duration bc there is often planning-related things while it’s in Planning and hasn’t really started yet). Tricky part is the project type is a multi-select field, which can be a pain for grouping (whole other topic).

MadalynD_0-1671201073171.png

Level 2

Hi Madalyn,

It took a hot minute but finally got this suggestion going.  I made a project custom form so i did not have calculated fields in all of my "normal" custom forms, but can add this one as needed.  It took me a minute to figure out to add the two custome fields titles, save the form, then go back and add the calculations for it to save.  

However, when i added the project custom form to my existing project it is not picking up the date it went current.  I checked my updates to find that the day i changed the project status was 3.6 and the form is saying 3.8.  Wondering if i changed the status to anything else, then back to current if the date changes to that new "current" date.  Second question:  What am i suposed to be compairing the Date Went Current to?  In some cases it matches the Overview section under Project Details for Entry Date and sometimes it matches the Last Updated.

Any help would be appreciated.

Samantha

Community Advisor

Hi there!

Good callout I forgot to mention - the Date Went Current is not retroactive, it only will work moving forward. The Date Went Current is capturing when a project status went from Planning to Current, whereas the native Entry Date in project details is the date the project was created. I liked to use when it went Current bc oftentimes we'd have projects in Planning for a while before the project was really ready to begin. For us, the 'clock' on when a project really began was when it's changed to Current, so I wanted that date instead of the Project Entry.

Community Advisor

Hi all, wanted to share another reporting idea that I created last week in case anyone else would find this helpful!

I was curious to know how many rounds/versions our Proofs are going. This 'document version' report shows Proofs by # of versions that were uploaded over the past rolling 6 months. This can show trends on average number of rounds on Proofs (i.e. if most Proofs are going more than 2 rounds, there is a bigger problem to dig into).  NOTE: this is only a credible report if your teams are good about Proof versioning (we aren't perfect but getting there). The report will end up looking like this so you can keep an eye on versions and dig into the few that are high:

Proof Versions Report.PNG

My filters (I say proof name not blank bc I only want proofs, not document approvals or other documents) and only have those teams that upload proofs:

MadalynD_1-1672868764546.png

Text mode for your grouping:
group.0.groupdatesby=MY
group.0.linkedname=direct
group.0.name=Upload
group.0.notime=false
group.0.valuefield=entryDate
group.0.valueformat=atDateAsMonthString
group.1.iscollapsed=true
group.1.linkedname=direct
group.1.name=Versions/Rounds
group.1.valuefield=version
group.1.valueformat=string
textmode=true

And this for your chart:

MadalynD_2-1672868834478.png

Level 2

Thank you for this!  I'm curious about trying to capture the number of comments on a proof.  Have you tried this?