Expand my Community achievements bar.

Adobe Journey Optimizer Community Lens 6th edition is out.
SOLVED

Optimize Custom Action using API in AJO

Level 3

Hi,

We have a custom action in AJO which will send API calls to an endpoint and get payload data for campaigns. However, I checked this document (https://experienceleague.adobe.com/docs/journey-optimizer/using/configuration/configure-journeys/act...) which says one API call per profile even if the response always the same. So if an audience is 50,000 large, it will send 50,000 API calls.

So my question is whether there is a way to optimize the number of API calls? Or cache the payload in AJO? Or start a journey at midnight? Any solutions to reduce the number of API calls?

Thanks

1 Accepted Solution

Correct answer by
Community Advisor

@xliu, There are no ways to optimize the number of API calls when using custom actions. There will be one API call per profile. However, if the response from the payload is common across all profiles, and you want to optimize API calls, you may consider ingesting that data in AEP and enabling it for activation with profiles to use in the journey. It requires larger solutioning.

Thanks, Sathees

View solution in original post

7 Replies

Correct answer by
Community Advisor

@xliu, There are no ways to optimize the number of API calls when using custom actions. There will be one API call per profile. However, if the response from the payload is common across all profiles, and you want to optimize API calls, you may consider ingesting that data in AEP and enabling it for activation with profiles to use in the journey. It requires larger solutioning.

Thanks, Sathees

Level 3

Thank you @SatheeskannaK , the reason we think custom action might be a better solution is that the external data always changing, so when we run a journey, the payload always returns the latest data.

In this case, any suggestions on how to store this dynamic data to AEP?

Thank you so mcuh.

Community Advisor

Got it. If the data is always changing, you will have to use a custom action, and of course, that will eat up your engine calls. If you’ve to ingest dynamic data in AEP, use the data flow or flat file approach.

Thanks, Sathees

Level 3

I see, thank you @SatheeskannaK 

One more question, what if we want to send custom API calls at night to limit API traffic and send emails during the daytime by using the Time Condition in Conditional Activity. Is this possible? Will the payload data be cached until the daytime we send the email?

Thank you!

Community Advisor

@xliu,@xliu, I haven't tried it. Theoretically, you can do that. You can send custom action API calls overnight and have wait activity in the journey to trigger in the morning to send emails.

Thanks, Sathees

Employee

Hi @xliu,

If batch operations / file-based destinations are fine to provide, then you can look at using RTCDP destinations to push the profile segment to the customer destination.

Employee

Custom actions should ideally be used with unitary journeys where the volumes are discrete.

This is basically to avoid overwhelming the REST API endpoints when an audience is used.

In your case, you should  explore HTTP API for destinations to see if that meets your requirement https://experienceleague.adobe.com/docs/experience-platform/destinations/catalog/streaming/http-dest...