Expand my Community achievements bar.

Radically easy to access on brand approved content for distribution and omnichannel performant delivery. AEM Assets Content Hub and Dynamic Media with OpenAPI capabilities is now GA.

Noob Needs Help with File Size

Former Community Member
I created a simple form with no graphics, fonts are not embedded, and I selected the file to be filled out, printed, then mailed. The file size is 21MB. The form is to be emailed so it must be much smaller in size. Once received, the user will fill it out electronicly, print the form, then mail it back to me regular postal mail. Why is the file size so large and how can I make it smaller? Thanks in advance.

Kevin
5 Replies

Level 7
That seems very large, indeed. I'm not an expert in this area, but I

think it may help with answers if you describe, step by step, how you

made this form.

Aandi Inston

Former Community Member
OK. Here's what I did:

1. At the welcome screen I selected "New Form" and then "New Blank Form"

2. For the page size I left it at "Default" which is 8.5 x 11.

3. For Return Method I selected "Fill then Print".

4. At the last screen I just clicked "OK".

5. Then I built the form. I put in (9) Text boxes, (4) Text Fields that look like Sunken Boxes, (5) Numeric Fields that look like Sunken Boxes, and (3) Check Boxes that look like Sunken Boxes.

6. I then saved the file as a Static PDF Form File.

7. The file size is 22.5 MB.

That was my second attempt. The first attempt I had the fonts embedded and I had a Logo on the form. The file size for that one was 27.3 MB.

Thanks for the help.

Kevin

Level 7
Well, I followed those steps in Designer 7 (without setting any

attributes for the form fields). The file is 68K. So there is a major

difference. Are you choosing fonts?

Also, since you only want "fill and print" functionality, you could

make an Acrobat form instead of a Designer form.

Aandi Inston

Former Community Member
I chose Ariel as the font. I just tried using one of the templates and edited it for what I need, and the file size is 239 KB...much better than 20+ MB! There must be something simple I missed in the beginning. I will use Acrobat for now but I am too stuborn to let a program kick my butt. Thanks for the help.

Kevin

Former Community Member
I remember seeing something in the settings about compression selection. Also, I think you have to save the form as Dynamic to allow interactive forms if you want the user to be able to save a copy on their pc.