Today I found myself with this problem in another area.
I went with a different workaround that requires no scripting:
1] do not create any table section and just stick with 1 body line in the table
2] wrap each cell object of the table line in a subform [so the subforms become the actual cell objects]
3] make the subforms 'positioned' and make them the height of 2 rows
4] place 2 text-fields or whatever above each other in the subforms and bind them to the correct elements of the data table row
5] if required, use bottom border of the upper fields to simulate table row borders
This feels less dirty though I am not sure if it is heavier on rendering engine or not. I mean at runtime, with all the subforms in all manner of places which seem "necessary", and with things like tables using them also, I would not be surprised that a long document would cause 1000s of subforms to be rendered. Unsure how bad this is but it hasn't killed anything yet.