Expand my Community achievements bar.

Dive into Adobe Summit 2024! Explore curated list of AEM sessions & labs, register, connect with experts, ask questions, engage, and share insights. Don't miss the excitement.
SOLVED

Trouble loading test app into iPad

Level 2

Hi,

I've downloaded and signed the .ipa file. But when I load it to the iPad via iTunes, the icon on the iPad appears gray and says "Installing" and it doesn't pass that point.

Does anybody else experienced this issue? Is there another way around it to view it?

Thanks,

Cindy J.

1 Accepted Solution

Correct answer by
Level 2

Ahhhhh! Got it!

The iOS Certificate (Development) was invalid for our account.

I only found this out by going into the DPS App Builder to try to download the developer IPA for our newsstand app - the Builder let me know it was invalid. Nowhere in Certificates, Identifiers & Profiles on the Apple Developer site did it list the certificate as invalid - in fact it isn't expired.

So I just had to generate the dev provisioning file with that active certificate chosen.

Thanks for all the great quick responses! Sorry is was somewhat of a bonehead problem.

-Kelly

View solution in original post

17 Replies

Employee

Have you guys signed the .ipa file using the signing tool? Are you sure your device UDID is in the .mobileprovision file you used?

Neil

Level 2

Actually no but that made me check with the Developer person.

Thanks.

Cindy

Level 2

I am having the same problem. And am sure that my UDID is in the .mobileprovision

Employee

Every time this issue comes up it's because the .mobileprovision file doesn't have your device ID in it, or the certificate's expired. It's *really* easy to accidentally forget to check the little box next to your device ID when generating the .mobileprovision file (it's not enough to just add the ID to your developer account). I've made this mistake many times

Try re-generating your mobileprovision file and make absolutely 100% sure that there's a checkmark next to your device ID in the list.

Neil

Level 2

Recreated and generated a new .mobileprovision file - tried it on two iPads w/ checked UDIDs - still the same result. There has to be something I'm missing, but I can't find it. App ID is correct, UDIDs listed...

Employee

Are you dragging the signed IPA file over to the iPad after using the signing tool? Don't use the app you downloaded from App Builder, it has to be the second one that gets _signed added to the name after using the signing tool.

Neil

Level 2

Yes, the second signed IPA. I've loaded it using DIAWI.com and also dragging it into iTunes.

Employee

The only other thing I can think of is that the app was signed with a store distribution provision, and not a development certificate or ad-hoc distribution certificate.

Sometimes with iOS I also restart the device to try and fix up weird installation issues. It can't hurt to try that as well.

Level 2

I signed it with a distribution cert, should I try an ad-hoc cert? Worth a try.

Employee

You need to use a development or ad-hoc cert. Distribution certs are for uploading to the store.

Neil

Level 2

My last post I wrote distribution, but I meant development. I've done both - signed with development and ad-hoc certs with no luck. I restarted the device and still no luck. Regenerated certs - no luck.

Employee

Hmm, this is mysterious. This is a total guess as to what the problem might be, but do you have a previous version of the app on your device as well? Specifically, a released version that you got from the app store. If so, I would try removing that app, then trying to install the new DPS 2015 app from Xcode or iTunes.

Employee

You might want to use iTunes to double-check the UDID string. Some third-party methods provide an incorrect UDID.

Correct answer by
Level 2

Ahhhhh! Got it!

The iOS Certificate (Development) was invalid for our account.

I only found this out by going into the DPS App Builder to try to download the developer IPA for our newsstand app - the Builder let me know it was invalid. Nowhere in Certificates, Identifiers & Profiles on the Apple Developer site did it list the certificate as invalid - in fact it isn't expired.

So I just had to generate the dev provisioning file with that active certificate chosen.

Thanks for all the great quick responses! Sorry is was somewhat of a bonehead problem.

-Kelly

Employee

Glad you got it sorted out. I'll follow up with the App Builder team to see why the desktop signing tool wasn't alerting you to the invalid certificate.

Neil