Expand my Community achievements bar.

Priority of boolean operators in Segment Builder

Level 1

Hi all,

I am new to Adobe Audience Manager and I am trying to evaluate the structure of an existing segment I am working with. I am confused about the impact of 2 consecutive "AND NOT", which I fear may be excluding from the segment much more than what they were intended to do.

To give you some more details, I want to address a population of prospects who have visited the website and have not filled a request form in that specified time frame.

I have added my comments after the ##

So the segment is built as follows:

All visitors (recency >=7days ago)

AND

All visitors (recency <=30days ago) ## At this point we have a segment of "all visitors for the period 7-30 days"

AND NOT

Customers ## now the segment is "all visitors for the period 7-30 days who are not customers"

AND NOT

Filled a form (recency >=7days ago) ## This is where I start having problems. now the segment is "all visitors for the period 7-30 days who are not customers and have NEVER filled a form before the past 7 days"?

AND NOT

Filled a form (recency <=30days ago) ## This was supposed to limit the exclusion to the people who have not filled the form during the period 7-30. In my opinion with such a structure we are excluding from the 7-30 days not clients segments everyone who has ever filled a form, even if they filled the form 60 days before. Am I right?

Thanks in advance for your help,

Sergio

1 Reply

Employee

Hi Sergio.C

Instead of using a complex expression in segment,we would recommend to exclude the users at trait level using AAM UI to create the trait expression and then probably use that trait in segments.

You can read more about boolean operators  and their precedence here Boolean Expressions in Trait and Segment Builder

Regards,

Shweta