Expand my Community achievements bar.

SOLVED

How to create a trait capturing a blank value of a key-value pair?

Level 5

Hi there,

Just wondering how do I create an onboarded trait to capture a key-value pair where the value is NULL or empty? I tried doing that but AAM gives me a pop-up that says "The Value cannot be blank" 

Thanks!

Topics

Topics help categorize Community content and increase your ability to discover relevant content.

1 Accepted Solution

Correct answer by
Employee

Hi Akwankl,

You can create Traits based on Null & NA values but AAM won't allow you to create a blank Trait expression so while onboarding data into AAM make sure instead of onboarding an empty value please use NULL or NA values.

Thank You

Prabhat Upadhyay

View solution in original post

7 Replies

Correct answer by
Employee

Hi Akwankl,

You can create Traits based on Null & NA values but AAM won't allow you to create a blank Trait expression so while onboarding data into AAM make sure instead of onboarding an empty value please use NULL or NA values.

Thank You

Prabhat Upadhyay

Level 2

Hi, I have similar question. we have onboarded trait something like this "couponcode="AAA". And, in future more often we get new coupon code value from our Data Lake to AAM(in an automated way). So, there is no way for AAM team to know when new coupon code value send to AAM but as per my understanding, we need to have the trait in place upfront before we send the data to AAM. If not, AAM will keep it in the signals and not stored those values in the trait. If we need to create the onboarded trait from the signal then we need to work with Adobe team(cost involved) also there is a limitation of only getting last 30 days maximum data. Is there any options/suggestions to handle this without spending additional cost?

Thanks in advance.

Employee Advisor

Hello There,

You need to create the onboarded traits prior to sending data files into AAM otherwise all of the new signals will be lost. As you correctly said, to perform backfilling of those new signals there will be an additional cost.

Employee

Hi @akwankl ,

You can use below mentioned steps to create trait which capture null value.

1.In the UI, create a trait with signal = “value”, in the expression builder;  
2.Save the trait;  
3.Edit the trait;  
4.Go to trait expression -> code view;  
5.Remove “value” and replace it with “”;  
6.Save the trait without going back to the expression builder;  
7.You'll see an error message: The Value cannot be blank. Press OK to dismiss it.

Regards,

Shweta

Level 5

Hi @shweta_singh 

This is an interesting workaround. I tried it and now whenever I visit this trait page the "Value cannot be blank" always pops up. I also don't see the key="" in the trait expression, is this the expected behaviour?

Thanks!