Expand my Community achievements bar.

SOLVED

Clarity required - segment and trait population

Level 2

Hi

I have a couple of questions about segment and trait population. Appreciate your help

Question 1

We have segments in AAM that are based on the following profile merge rule: 'No Authentication Profile' + 'Current Device Profile'

The segments are made up of on-boarded traits from our CRM cross device data source (no rule based traits). I would therefore expect the population of these segments to be 0. However we see that these segments are populated. Can you help me to understand this please?

Question 2@

Our 1st party data source is configured to use profile merge rules. According to Adobe documentation about trait association:

• If the data provider is configured to use Profile Merge Rules for cross-device targeting, the data available for targeting shortly after an ID sync identifies to the matching Audience Manager visitor ID.

I uploaded the following 1st party CRM data on day 1:

user1     "has_fibre_broadband"="Y"

AAM correctly associated 3 devices to the corresponding trait (total trait population = 3). On day 2 this user logged into another device where ID sync was performed for the first time. I was expecting the total trait population to now be 4. It's been over a week and the total trait population is still 3. Can you help me to understand this please? 

Many thanks

Shah

1 Accepted Solution

Correct answer by
Employee

Here's my response to your question.

Hi Varun

Thanks for replying. See my comments below

Question 1

We have segments in AAM that are based on the following profile merge rule: 'No Authentication Profile' + 'Current Device Profile'

The segments are made up of on-boarded traits from our CRM cross device data source (no rule based traits). I would therefore expect the population of these segments to be 0. However we see that these segments are populated. Can you help me to understand this please?

Varun (02-Apr-2018)
Even though the segments are made from onboarded traits, you should be able to see the population when there is an activity by those CRM IDs on front end of the site/app. You should be able to see the device numbers in trait and segment population.

Shah (02-Apr-2018)

Please help me to understand the answer further: If the segment is made up on only onboarded traits and the profile merge rule is 'No Authentication Profile' + 'Current Device Profile' then why is the segment populated when there is activity by the CRM ID? Isn't the segment supposed to show a count of the devices that qualify for that segment?

Kumar (23-Apr-2018)

The segment metrics are to show the number of devices that are part of the segment, irrespective of how (rule-based or onboarded) the device became part of the segment. Now, let us look at the exact two metrics that are part of the segment report.

Real-time population - "The actual number of unique visitors seen in real-time for the specified time range and who were qualified for the segment at the moment they were seen by Audience Manager." So, if the user is part of the segment at the time when the user was seen online on customer's web property, the user will be included in a real-time population

Total Population - "The actual number of unique visitors who were qualified for the segment as of yesterday.". So, this is more of a population at a point in time.

You will find more information about the segment reports here -

Trait and Segment Population Data in Segment Builder -

Question 2

Our 1st party data source is configured to use profile merge rules. According to Adobe documentation about trait association:

• If the data provider is configured to use Profile Merge Rules for cross-device targeting, the data available for targeting shortly after an ID sync identifies to the matching Audience Manager visitor ID.

AAM correctly associated 3 devices to the corresponding trait (total trait population = 3). On day 2 this user logged into another device where ID sync was performed for the first time. I was expecting the total trait population to now be 4. It's been over a week and the total trait population is still 3. Can you help me to understand this please?

Varun (02-Apr-2018)

Could you please tell which device option did you choose in the profile merge rule ? Profile link Device Graph or Current Device Profile ?

As Profile link device graph considers 3 devices : Profile Link Device Graph Use Cases

Shah (02-Apr-2018)

We are using 'Current Device Profile'.

Kumar (23-Apr-2018)

As I understand, this question of yours is more about the trait reports. Ideally, you should see it in both realtime and total trait population as the user logs in and the ID sync fires with that specific CRM ID. Please share what you see for this trait and could you please share the report that you see now and please share both real-time and total trait population?

Cheers,

Kumar Pritam

View solution in original post

4 Replies

Level 9

Hi Shah,

Please find answers below to your question:

Question 1

Even though the segments are made from onboarded traits, you should be able to see the population when there is an activity by those CRM IDs on front end of the site/app. You should be able to see the device numbers in trait and segment population.

Question 2@

Could you please tell which device option did you choose in the profile merge rule ? Profile link Device Graph or Current Device Profile ?

As Profile link device graph considers 3 devices : Profile Link Device Graph Use Cases

Thanks,

Varun Kalra

Level 2

Hi Varun

Question 1

Varun (02-Apr-2018)

Shah (02-Apr-2018)

Please help me to understand the answer further: If the segment is made up on only onboarded traits and the profile merge rule is 'No Authentication Profile' + 'Current Device Profile' then why is the segment populated when there is activity by the CRM ID? Isn't the segment supposed to show a count of the devices that qualify for that segment?

Question 2

Varun (02-Apr-2018)

Shah (02-Apr-2018)

Correct answer by
Employee

Here's my response to your question.

Hi Varun

Question 1

Varun (02-Apr-2018)

Shah (02-Apr-2018)

Kumar (23-Apr-2018)

The segment metrics are to show the number of devices that are part of the segment, irrespective of how (rule-based or onboarded) the device became part of the segment. Now, let us look at the exact two metrics that are part of the segment report.

Real-time population - "The actual number of unique visitors seen in real-time for the specified time range and who were qualified for the segment at the moment they were seen by Audience Manager." So, if the user is part of the segment at the time when the user was seen online on customer's web property, the user will be included in a real-time population

Total Population - "The actual number of unique visitors who were qualified for the segment as of yesterday.". So, this is more of a population at a point in time.

You will find more information about the segment reports here -

Trait and Segment Population Data in Segment Builder -

Question 2

Varun (02-Apr-2018)

Shah (02-Apr-2018)

Kumar (23-Apr-2018)

As I understand, this question of yours is more about the trait reports. Ideally, you should see it in both realtime and total trait population as the user logs in and the ID sync fires with that specific CRM ID. Please share what you see for this trait and could you please share the report that you see now and please share both real-time and total trait population?

Cheers,

Kumar Pritam

Level 9

Hi Shah,

I tested this thing, and I was able to replicate the similar thing what you reported in your Question 2.

I created onboarded traits, then onboarded a file for cross device data source. After the file got successfully onboarded, I did the customer ID sync, and noted down the UUID. I checked in the backend (in our internal tools) after 24 hours that the customer ID and UUID was part of the onboarded trait. But, I could not see the trait being populated. We have reported this issue to our engineering team and waiting for their input on this.

I appreciate that you tested and shared your findings. I will get back as soon as we'll have any update on this.

Thanks,

Varun Kalra