Expand my Community achievements bar.

Join us at Adobe Summit 2024 for the Coffee Break Q&A Live series, a unique opportunity to network with and learn from expert users, the Adobe product team, and Adobe partners in a small group, 30 minute AMA conversations.
SOLVED

wrapping multiple request into one Omniture call if they don't have overlapping custom variables

Level 3

Is there a way to wrap multiple request into one Omniture call if they don't have any overlapping custom variables?  For examples, we have a call for the link, which is passing only two variables and another for the destination page.  I personally think it's a waste to be sending these types of request so we either rethink if we want to track this customer behavior or find a better method of tracking without the adding in the extra request resulting in millions of Omniture calls.  This can potentially save over $25K a year based on current traffic levels.

-Robert 

1 Accepted Solution

Correct answer by
Employee Advisor

Well if you truly want to make tracking more efficient from a cost perspective, I'd recommend migrating to DTM. That way you would have complete control over what fires, and you know for a fact that you're only going to be sending exactly one image request per page load.

If that's not feasible right now, look through all web resources and make sure there's only a single mention of s.t() and that it fires on every page load.

View solution in original post

3 Replies

Employee Advisor

Hi Robert! Since I'm guessing those separate image requests exist for a reason, I'll see if I can provide information on how data collection works and let you decide if those extra image requests are needed to stay separate or combined.

All data collection is based off of s.t() and s.tl() calls. When one of these functions are called, they compile all available variables and include them in a query string to our processing servers. Our servers then take that query string, parse it out into their respective data columns, and return a 1x1 transparent image to display on your site.

Now, you're more than welcome to combine image requests, but keep in mind that they may exist to track specific user behavior. If you're sending multiple image requests that can easily be combined, by all means combine them. However if you have a page load image request and another link tracking image request tracking things like banner clicks, you may want to keep them.

Other than manually changing the code, there isn't really a way to combine image requests using a wrapper. It would be much more efficient to locate the duplicate s.t() or s.tl() call, remove it, and make sure the variables in question are defined for that single image request call.

Level 3

Thanks for the response and making the point that you wouldn't want to compromise user engagement tracking but I don't think this is the case here.  Just reviewing the current implementation and looking to make the tracking more efficient from a cost perspective.

Correct answer by
Employee Advisor

Well if you truly want to make tracking more efficient from a cost perspective, I'd recommend migrating to DTM. That way you would have complete control over what fires, and you know for a fact that you're only going to be sending exactly one image request per page load.

If that's not feasible right now, look through all web resources and make sure there's only a single mention of s.t() and that it fires on every page load.