Expand my Community achievements bar.

Join us at Adobe Summit 2024 for the Coffee Break Q&A Live series, a unique opportunity to network with and learn from expert users, the Adobe product team, and Adobe partners in a small group, 30 minute AMA conversations.
SOLVED

Removing unspecified

Level 7

I'm trying to remove the unspecified line from reports such as search engines - natural and paid, I fully understand what it means and why its' there but I don't want it on reports going to stakeholders, I've been unable to remove it at all from a lot of reports as detailed in https://marketing.adobe.com/resources/help/kb/en_US/analytics/kb/none-unspecified-and-unknown.html

Is anyone able to suggest how to do it? Also the unspecified line still appears on my graphs despite unchecking the show unspecified in graphs in report settings.

All help greatly received!

1 Accepted Solution

Correct answer by
Employee

The only option is through filtering of the report [does not contain=none]. I can confirm filtering does take out the unspecified line item in the Search Engines (Natural & Paid) reports both in the ranked and the trended views:

Best,

Brian

>>>

Filtering these values in reporting

Under most circumstances, it is safe to ignore these line items. However if you want to remove them, you can filter them out or remove the value from the graph.

Create a search filter

1. Navigate to the desired report, and then click Advanced next to the data filter.
  2. Create the logic "Does not contain" followed with the value that you want to exclude (None, Unspecified, Other, or Unknown).
  3. Click Search.

Some backend data variables use the value ::unspecified:: in reporting, though it is not shown in the interface. If a search filter fails to exclude data, try using this value (including the colons) or another value listed above such as 'None' or 'Unknown'.

Exclude from reporting graphs

1. Navigate to Favorites > Report Settings tol open the Report Settings interface.
  2. Deselect Show 'None,' 'Unspecified' and 'Typed/Bookmarked' data in report graphs.
  3. Click Save.

View solution in original post

4 Replies

Correct answer by
Employee

The only option is through filtering of the report [does not contain=none]. I can confirm filtering does take out the unspecified line item in the Search Engines (Natural & Paid) reports both in the ranked and the trended views:

Best,

Brian

>>>

Filtering these values in reporting

Under most circumstances, it is safe to ignore these line items. However if you want to remove them, you can filter them out or remove the value from the graph.

Create a search filter

1. Navigate to the desired report, and then click Advanced next to the data filter.
  2. Create the logic "Does not contain" followed with the value that you want to exclude (None, Unspecified, Other, or Unknown).
  3. Click Search.

Some backend data variables use the value ::unspecified:: in reporting, though it is not shown in the interface. If a search filter fails to exclude data, try using this value (including the colons) or another value listed above such as 'None' or 'Unknown'.

Exclude from reporting graphs

1. Navigate to Favorites > Report Settings tol open the Report Settings interface.
  2. Deselect Show 'None,' 'Unspecified' and 'Typed/Bookmarked' data in report graphs.
  3. Click Save.

Level 7

Many thanks, "none" was the only option I didn't try! Will remember that for future!

Level 2

I have tried all of the options to exclude ::Unspecified:: as in the articles and different strategies you referenced in the Search Keywords report.  Used all of the options (None, Other, Unknown, Unspecified) with semicolons, without, etc...It is still not excluding from the search.  This is needed to go to leadership and I'm having no luck removing this line item.  Any additional suggestions?

Thanks!

Level 10

Hi Katrina, 

You can exclude this using a segment. Create a segment with the definition Search Keywords - does not equal - Unspecified and apply it to the report. 

This should work out, let me know in case it doesn't. 

Thanks!

TM