Expand my Community achievements bar.

Join us at Adobe Summit 2024 for the Coffee Break Q&A Live series, a unique opportunity to network with and learn from expert users, the Adobe product team, and Adobe partners in a small group, 30 minute AMA conversations.
SOLVED

query string variables in pages reports

Level 2

In my pages report, I'm seeing certainly querystrings are kept in the system as individual pages, for instance:

page.htm?poll=101

page.htm?poll=102

are saved as different pages, while most are not.

page.htm?c=49

page.htm?c=50

How can I determine/edit which query string parameters are recorded?

Thanks

1 Accepted Solution

Correct answer by
Level 6

admin -> report suites

select a report suite and then settings -> general -> processing rules

HOWEVER, you have to pass the processing rules test and have a supported user send your score results to customer care before they will turn on processing rules for your admin account. You can REALLY mess things up with processing rules so Adobe is very strict on giving access.

https://marketing.adobe.com/resources/help/kb/en_US/analytics/kb/processing-rules-authorization.html

tells how. It's free, you need to go through the testing system and get the free pass for the test. Also you really need to know the stuff. Including context data which a lot of the questions are based on. I wish I had an online copy of  the 'processing rules cheat sheet' that adobe has passed out a summit at least 2 years ago. it helps a lot.

We use processing rules a lot to pickup stray url parameters that show up that we don't have coded directly in our s_code what was shown in the doc works but I would have also put in a condition that cpid exists before trying to set a value from it. but that's me also if you are setting other values based on the cpid url parameter existing like if that only comes from paid search and you have some evar you set to 'paid search' you want to make sure that cpid exists before doing that.

View solution in original post

7 Replies

Level 3

I believe you will see the query string parameters in the pages report only if you use the default settings which uses the URL structure.  This happens when you don't specific the pagename value.  The disadvantage is that you may not have the URL structured in a way that meaningful for comparison and the character limitation (100 characters).  It will truncate anything that exceeds it.  The preferred method of tracking is to label the page and use campaign tracking for the query string activity.  

Level 2

You're correct, we use default tracking - all urls in our pages report (we track Headlines separately)

And in fact, I'd prefer not to be tracking this querystring in our pages report - I'd rather it report as a single page. I'm not sure how to turn that off, though.

Thanks for the reply.

Level 3

For the the query string parameter to get picked up in the campaigns report, you will need to set this up in the admin console.  You will need to be an admin for this.  Here's an example for the campaign tracking:

https://marketing.adobe.com/resources/help/en_US/reference/processing_rules_populate_campaign_ID.htm...

Level 2

I do have admin access, but can't find where specific querystring values for the pages report are set or stored. Is this a processing rule in a report suite? I'm not seeing it.

Thank you for your help. 

Correct answer by
Level 6

admin -> report suites

select a report suite and then settings -> general -> processing rules

HOWEVER, you have to pass the processing rules test and have a supported user send your score results to customer care before they will turn on processing rules for your admin account. You can REALLY mess things up with processing rules so Adobe is very strict on giving access.

https://marketing.adobe.com/resources/help/kb/en_US/analytics/kb/processing-rules-authorization.html

tells how. It's free, you need to go through the testing system and get the free pass for the test. Also you really need to know the stuff. Including context data which a lot of the questions are based on. I wish I had an online copy of  the 'processing rules cheat sheet' that adobe has passed out a summit at least 2 years ago. it helps a lot.

We use processing rules a lot to pickup stray url parameters that show up that we don't have coded directly in our s_code what was shown in the doc works but I would have also put in a condition that cpid exists before trying to set a value from it. but that's me also if you are setting other values based on the cpid url parameter existing like if that only comes from paid search and you have some evar you set to 'paid search' you want to make sure that cpid exists before doing that.

Level 3

I believe it's in the report suite level.  I would love to help you further but I'm currently not an admin at the company where I consult.  If you're still having trouble and you're a supported user, I recommend you reach out to client care.  Best of luck.