Expand my Community achievements bar.

Join us at Adobe Summit 2024 for the Coffee Break Q&A Live series, a unique opportunity to network with and learn from expert users, the Adobe product team, and Adobe partners in a small group, 30 minute AMA conversations.
SOLVED

Multiple image request calls: Inflated metrics for unique visitors/ visits

Level 4

Hello Team, 

I am new to AA's world. Trying to figure out some of the basic reasons for traffic spikes for one of our Single page applications. When debugged using adobe experience cloud debugger, we noticed on our home page, that there were two image requests that are being fired (two hits). Here are the details of those two image requests.

Image request 1: Yes, obviously, the page load rule that sends a beacon (s.t() call) ---> we are setting few variables like page name, referrer, load time.. etc.

Image request 2:  A direct call rule that gets called while listening to dispatched custom event ( addEventListener)  that sends a beacon (s.tl() call)  ---> we are setting few new variables which are not set in the first image request. 

So, now, when we take a look at the reports for unique visitors, visits and page views, the metrics got a spike(almost doubled) for  unique visitors and visits. the report for page views is not impacted with the spike. 

Would like to know why an extra s.tl() call causes inflated metrics and how should we go about addressing it? 

1 Accepted Solution

Correct answer by
Level 2

Just to keep everyone else updated, Andrey helped taking a look at the URLs (which I could not share in this public forum) and the server calls looked okay. He noticed ECID extension does not have tracking server configured. Checking on possibilities of upgrading these extensions to see if it gets resolved.

View solution in original post

7 Replies

Level 10

It is unlikely the UV and Visits doubled because of the multiple server calls. I presume you first and second calls have different Visitor ID values. Double check that the Experience Cloud ID (mid parameter) exists in both and it's the same.

I would doubt that the Page Views could be doubled (even if the Visitor IDs were not passed correctly) because you mentioned that only the first call is s.t().

Level 2

thanks for your response. we did double check the Experience Cloud Visitor ID parameter in both the image requests using adobe experience cloud debugger extension and yes both the image requests have same IDs. please find the same in the screenshot

exp-cloud-visitor-ids.PNG

One more thing i noticed is, these two image request calls are resultant of two Direct Call Rules (as opposed to page load rule and direct call rule like I mentioned earlier). Does firing back to back DCRs causes issues of this kind?

Level 10
DCR is just a rule in Launch. Only the data sent makes the difference.

Level 10
I would review the server calls if you could share (or DM) the URL(s).

Correct answer by
Level 2

Just to keep everyone else updated, Andrey helped taking a look at the URLs (which I could not share in this public forum) and the server calls looked okay. He noticed ECID extension does not have tracking server configured. Checking on possibilities of upgrading these extensions to see if it gets resolved.

Level 1

I am facing the same issue & I just see the org id configured in ECID extension, can you please help me with server configuration in extension?