Expand my Community achievements bar.

Join us for the next Community Q&A Coffee Break on Tuesday April 23, 2024 with Eric Matisoff, Principal Evangelist, Analytics & Data Science, who will join us to discuss all the big news and announcements from Summit 2024!

Marketing Channels: Why more Visits that Marketing Channel Instances?

Level 2

Hi,

I want to see what channels the traffic to our website comes from, but also breakdown different channels with other dimensions to see what item in a specific dimension is set in the same hit as the Marketing Channel is set.

1. Should I be using Marketing Channel Instances or Visits or some other metric for this purpose?

2. When I compare Marketing Channel Instances to Visits, there are more Visits that Instances. As each visit should have a Marketing Channel, I don't understand why there is a lower number of Instances than Visits. The number of visits for marketing Channels equals the number of visits for the site as a whole.

Our configuration in the Channel Process Manager is that Override Last Touch Channel is checked for all channels.

Thank you in advance!

5 Replies

Employee Advisor

1. Should I be using Marketing Channel Instances or Visits or some other metric for this purpose?

This is totally depends on context. If you are trying to look at same hit level attribution use marketing channel instances

As for your 2nd question, ideally the "Direct" and "Internal" channels are not set to override other previously set channels. If you have set every channel to override, and still seeing visits with no marketing channel instances, then I would recommend reviewing your processing rules. Basically this means, there are visits where the users doesn't match the condition for any of the marketing channel. 

I would recommend the following:

1. Review if direct and internal should be overriding channels
  2. Check if there are visits where no marketing channel instances exist
  3. Review the channel processing rules, and if they cover all visit scenarios

Level 2

Hi,

Thank you for the answer and tips! 

My main purpose is to see from which Marketing Channel the traffic is coming. So in that case I should use Marketing Channel Instances as I understand it?

Regarding the second question: If there were to be Visits with no match for any of the channels, then those visits would appear as None in the Marketing Channel dimension, which is not the case. All the Visits are attributed to a Marketing Channel but still there are about 58% the visits that have no Marketing Channel Instance. What could be the reason for this?

Employee Advisor

Can you share a screenshot of what you are seeing? Which marketing channel is this none traffic flowing into? Also can you share the screenshot of the processing rule setup for the channel in which these visits are not having an instance?

Level 2

Hi

I have reached out to you via the Customer Care to continue this issue in that channel.

Thank you for your help so far!

Level 2

Hi,

What was the resolution?  I have the exact question and would really appreciate any help you can provide.  The business wants to answer the question:  Which Marketing Channel(s) are traffic coming from (regardless of any type of conversion).  Which is the correct metric to use??